Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Issues A Big Steam Beta Update With Better Overlay, Linux Hardware Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you know you could install Windows 10/11 and enjoy life to the fullest.

There's this funny proverb/joke in the Russian language: "The hedgehogs got pricked, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". It represents Linux users and their futile attempts of running software written and built for another OS perfectly.
    Last edited by avis; 28 April 2023, 10:40 AM.

Comment

There's another saying, "don't eat the yellow snow"

It represents windows user and their cognitive dissonance about their "benefactor" constantly urinating on them quickly discarded, because not having to use one's brain is such a wonderful gift in life.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

There's this funny proverb/joke in the Russian language: "The hedgehogs got stung, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". It represents Linux users and their futile attempts of running software written and built for another OS perfectly.
        Who told you dat? Rubbish.
        I do enjoy life to the fullest и без ебанины с этим космическим crapware

Comment

"The hedgehogs got stung, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". It represents Linux users and their futile attempts of running software written and built for another OS perfectly.
          a) they have both the hedghogs and cactuses in russia??? and you are fool enough to swallow that???

b) it in no way represents linux user's futile attempts. we are more than capable of representing our futility in the form of source code and shell scripts instead. and we expect nothing less as the standard and humorless autistic ones that we are

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post

a) they have both the hedghogs and cactuses in russia??? and you are fool enough to swallow that???

b) it in no way represents linux user's futile attempts. we are more than capable of representing our futility in the form of source code and shell scripts instead. and we expect nothing less as the standard and humorless autistic ones that we are
            Nice one, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
              It's not. In this case (and in 99.9% desktop use cases) it's just plain old lazyness.
              OTOH, running third party binaries compiled nobody knows how by whom and from never rewieved source unconfined on your desktop is (or at least realistically might be), if we're talking about real vulnerabilities.

Fixing discretional perms aint gonna fix that.
              Lol, yeah. This. Complaining about file perms on random binaries you download from "trusted" game developers who you know love sticking all sorts of shit in their code and/or are developed by the "marketing" team are most definitely not taking security into consideration when building their projects. Luckily, as far as I'm aware, they all run in userspace and don't do any SUID root stuff. However, I have a dedicated Steam box (running Arch) and that's what I use for gaming. I don't do work on it and I try to avoid even leaving stuff like my SSH priv keys on it or KeepassDB cause who knows that those guys are digging around for when you click "play".

Comment

There's this funny proverb/joke in the Russian language: "The hedgehogs got pricked, cried, but continued to eat the cactus". It represents Linux users and their futile attempts of running software written and built for another OS perfectly.
                I enjoy life just fine thanks. Every time I have to use Windows for something more than basic admin / AD work I do feel pretty bad though. It's just such a shit OS, even if it has some good parts, to use on a daily basis. The "Microsoft daddy" knows best for you, all the ties in to Azure / recurring billing, Edge, the marketing / ads in the Start Menu, the basic way Windows works (no focus follows mouse, Win11 just got some basic / half-way decent virtual desktops), and just all the little deaths by a thousand cuts that just annoy me. I get a lot of that is that I try and treat it like a Linux (KDE) desktop, but when that's been your daily driver for 10+ years Windows just becomes painful. I like PowerShell, I like the new Windows Terminal and WSL2 is pretty slick, but it's just a PITA to use overall.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Lol, yeah. This. Complaining about file perms on random binaries you download from "trusted" game developers who you know love sticking all sorts of shit in their code and/or are developed by the "marketing" team are most definitely not taking security into consideration when building their projects. Luckily, as far as I'm aware, they all run in userspace and don't do any SUID root stuff. However, I have a dedicated Steam box (running Arch) and that's what I use for gaming. I don't do work on it and I try to avoid even leaving stuff like my SSH priv keys on it or KeepassDB cause who knows that those guys are digging around for when you click "play".
                  I think the problem is as you put it: "all sorts of shit in their code." Windows doesn't have the same restrictive permission model. I've seen with some games files that are seemingly data files actually be separate executables that are parts of the game. On Windows they temporarily rename them to .exe and go. That's just the beginning of the craziness, so steam just gives them the same permissions they'd have on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

I enjoy life just fine thanks. Every time I have to use Windows for something more than basic admin / AD work I do feel pretty bad though. It's just such a shit OS, even if it has some good parts, to use on a daily basis. The "Microsoft daddy" knows best for you, all the ties in to Azure / recurring billing, Edge, the marketing / ads in the Start Menu, the basic way Windows works (no focus follows mouse, Win11 just got some basic / half-way decent virtual desktops), and just all the little deaths by a thousand cuts that just annoy me. I get a lot of that is that I try and treat it like a Linux (KDE) desktop, but when that's been your daily driver for 10+ years Windows just becomes painful. I like PowerShell, I like the new Windows Terminal and WSL2 is pretty slick, but it's just a PITA to use overall.
                    You want to hate it - that's all I read. There's Windows 10 LTSC which is freaking fast, lean, without ads, without Windows Market and rock fucking solid.

I see no PITA at all. Maybe you make things up but so do 99% of Windows haters here on Phoronix. I've yet to hear a single real concern about Windows. People around me have been using Windows since 7 100% hassle-free for ~14 years now.

And before you accuse me of shilling for it, I use Fedora 99% of my time. Only unlike freeloaders here on Phoronix and r/Linux and I do a fucking lot to make it better and you know sometimes I get mad from the amount of bugs and regressions. Windows 10 that I installed over 7 years ago? Zero fucking maintenance. Not a single crash, not a single time drivers have failed, not a single time suspend or resume failed, nothing to report.

The only minor gripe is the necessity to reboot once a month and wait full 20 seconds for updates to be installed. That's fucking it.

I spend hours monthly fixing shit in Linux. Just yesterday I fixed a server where for some reasons after updating, GRUB2 on Ubuntu 20.20 LTS (LTS for fuck's sake) stopped finding its configuration file and the system stopped booting as a result. That was on a remote server. LTS quality, my buttocks. And then the kernel couldn't find network. Four hours spent debugging this shit and fixing it. And I've got no clue why GRUB2 failed. I reinstalled it (grub-install), it didn't help, I reinstalled it again - it started working.

And then I'm on unix stackexchange daily. And almost daily people report how their Linux'es stop booting or some piece of hardware stops working after an update. Of course here on Phoronix Linux works perfectly. In reality it's a fucking regressionfull bugfest. Of course there's RHEL but it's not a desktop distro.
                    Last edited by avis; 28 April 2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

It would be nice if they were unifying the style of the Steam client someday... It kinda looks like Windows with multiple generations of element mashed together.
                      Some parts are modernish, some are dated, some are literally obsolete website pages from 15 years ago. eurk

Also, the internal file structure is a complete mess.

Anyway Valve and clean never sounded from the same scale.

Comment

Working...
                      X