Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine 2.16 Released With Experimental Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Unigine 2.16 Released With Experimental Vulkan Support

The Unigine game and simulation 3D engine has released version 2.16 and with this update finally comes the much anticipated Vulkan and Direct3D 12 graphics API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would love if they released all new version of their demos with the new engine

Comment

Good for them, Vulkan is supported on everything!

Comment

I'm still wondering why we don't hear about this engine more. It seems only Dual Universe is using it, though it's arguably a technically impressive engine. Any game dev around to enlighten me?

Comment

I read somewhere their dev tools are worse than Unreal/Unity, so it takes more effort, time and more expirienced devs to make a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Good for them, Vulkan is supported on everything!
            Vulkan has tons of extensions (180 KHR and EXT + 100 vendor extensions), most of which are not supported everywhere. If you want your Vulkan code to "run on everything", then you're limited to the core specification + an extremely small number of extensions.

The situation got so bad, they had to introduce Profiles, in version 1.3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17227...-with-profiles

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
              I read somewhere their dev tools are worse than Unreal/Unity, so it takes more effort, time and more expirienced devs to make a game.
              I heard the engine is mostly used for simulations. Probably, they have limited resources to fund things like game development tools.

I like their demos/benchmarks and I support the idea of more engines, but my naive perspective is that there are enough decent open source engines out there (Ogre, Godot, O3DE) that I would explore, before opting for a proprietary one.

Comment

Better late then never I guess. For a graphics engine company however, you REALLY need to be a bit more prompt at API support. Maybe Unigine is a MUCH smaller team of developers now.

And yes multiple devs over the years have switched to U3D or UE from Unigine quoting issues with dev tools and such taking way too long to use.

UNIGINE devs just need to stop messing around with Benchmarks and MAKE a Skyrim 2 like game and smash it out of the park, that seems to be what their engine is good for, big open lush environments that are suited to medieval/fantasy settings.
                Last edited by theriddick; 12 October 2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                  Better late then never I guess. For a graphics engine company however, you REALLY need to be a bit more prompt at API support. Maybe Unigine is a MUCH smaller team of developers now.

And yes multiple devs over the years have switched to U3D or UE from Unigine quoting issues with dev tools and such taking way too long to use.

UNIGINE devs just need to stop messing around with Benchmarks and MAKE a Skyrim 2 like game and smash it out of the park, that seems to be what their engine is good for, big open lush environments that are suited to medieval/fantasy settings.
                  They actually are working on a new game project of their own right now, let's see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    Vulkan has tons of extensions (180 KHR and EXT + 100 vendor extensions), most of which are not supported everywhere. If you want your Vulkan code to "run on everything", then you're limited to the core specification + an extremely small number of extensions.

The situation got so bad, they had to introduce Profiles, in version 1.3.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17227...-with-profiles
                    Hey! What are you talking about? ^_^

6wrkm5.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X