No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Usage Receded Slightly In September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoops. I haven't opened up Steam on Linux since July. Didn't install the Flat until last night. My bad, y'all.

I finally got around to learning more about how Flats work and set it up so all my Flats install to my ZFS raid...endgame is to be able to go from distro to distro while keeping all my user apps and data in tact.

Comment

ubuntu 22.04 is ahead of arch linux šŸ’Ŗ

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Another option for Linux stuff is something like flatpak run --filesystem=home:rw --command=sh org.freedesktop.Sdk
        ā€‹
        It's not necessary to build a flatpak specifically for an application to run it under Flatpak.
        Wait, wut? Is this just putting the application files in a directory that is writable and then run this command to include all its libraries? Where might documentation be on this?

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
          ubuntu 22.04 is ahead of arch linux šŸ’Ŗ
          doesn't make ubuntu any better though

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

For the steady stream of users fleeing both Arch & Manjaro because of guaranteed breakage every fortnite, having five years of stability certainly does...

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

Wait, wut? Is this just putting the application files in a directory that is writable and then run this command to include all its libraries? Where might documentation be on this?
              You'll still need to either set LD_LIBRARY_PATH or use a start.sh or build your application with a --prefix that sets the appropriate rpath or whatever else you'd need for a non-standard install location without Flatpak

What I mentioned is a combination of things:
              1. You can run the runtime packages directly rather than using flatpak-builder to overlay application packages on top of them. I forget where I picked this up.
              2. You can also mount SDK extensions by setting the FLATPAK_ENABLE_SDK_EXT environment variable. For example, installing org.freedesktop.Sdk.Extension.rust-stable and then using flatpak run with FLATPAK_ENABLE_SDK_EXT=rust-stable gets you a Rust toolchain not installed by rustup. I learned this from a comment on a GitHub Issue, so I don't know where the official documentation is.
              3. In addition to the usual persistent flatpak override changes, you can specify custom one-time permission overrides as options to flatpak run in between the "run" and the application ID. (It's in flatpak run --help)
              4. If you mount a folder into your Flatpak sandbox, the permissions won't prevent you from executing things in it. (I just tested this out as a way of using Flatpak instead of Firejail for constraining GOG games.)
              5. You can export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to amend where the system loader looks for dynamic libraries. (This is what things like GOG.com's start.sh do.)
              6. You can specify any arbitrary command visible inside the sandbox to run instead of the default. (I believe I picked that up from some instructions on how to debug flatpaks which also pointed to the --devel for relaxing the sandbox to allow strace and gdb.)
              Other mixtures of these things are how you can have IDE flatpaks that can successfully compile and run your projects.

Just bear in mind that, even if you use --filesystem=host:rw, Flatpak mounts some things from the runtime into the sandbox, so the host's /usr has to be accessed under /var/run/host. (That's mentioned in the documentation for --filesystem=host.)
              Last edited by ssokolow; 03 October 2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Damn, sorry guys I went to Win11 to play with WSL2 for a while... I'll be back once I figure out 4:4:4 8-10bit display support on amdgpu (at 4k 120hz)
                it doesnt even work for me on win10 but i am using display port if that matters.

Comment

Simplified Chinese 26.49% +2.70%ā€‹
                  Though there's no rise for Win7, but Win11.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

No, just no HDMI2.1 support atm except if your using NVIDIA cards (don't know about Intel)
                    Intel maxes out at HDMI 2.0.

Nevertheless, have you considered the option of an active DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter? The following is a common choice but it's not perfect - it is crucial that you read the user reviews so that you understand its limitations:
                    https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08BX49V5Vā€‹

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    it doesnt even work for me on win10 but i am using display port if that matters.
                    With 8bit I'm pretty darned sure that 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 is specifically what DisplayPort 1.3 is spec'd for; the following may be useful in that regard:
                    https://linustechtips.com/topic/7292...s-adapters-v2/

But with 10bit I do believe that one needs DSC (display stream compression) in order to achieve 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 with DisplayPort at this time; if your GPU and monitor don't both support DSC than you're stuck with lower refresh rates (I think it's somewhere around 100Hz?) unless you set bit depth to 8bit.

...unless your issue is the 4:4:4 chroma thing I spoke of on the previous page.
                    Last edited by NM64; 02 October 2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

I just wanted to mock with arch and manjaro users... when steam survey showed arch linux ahead of ubuntu a while ago, people were celebrating here like world cup champions. they hate ubuntu and snap more than windows haha

Comment

Working...
                      X