Steam On Linux Usage Receded Slightly In September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NM64 View Post
    With 8bit I'm pretty darned sure that 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 is specifically what DisplayPort 1.3 is spec'd for; the following may be useful in that regard:
    https://linustechtips.com/topic/7292...s-adapters-v2/

But with 10bit I do believe that one needs DSC (display stream compression) in order to achieve 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 with DisplayPort at this time; if your GPU and monitor don't both support DSC than you're stuck with lower refresh rates (I think it's somewhere around 100Hz?) unless you set bit depth to 8bit.

...unless your issue is the 4:4:4 chroma thing I spoke of on the previous page.
    I am talking about 2x 1440p 144hz HDR10 screens on an AMD 6600XT. 10bit will not turn on anymore and is so longer supported by AMD drivers.
    Well nevermind i just noticed HDR10 defines 4:2:0 and not 4:4:4. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But it should work with 4:4:4 1440p yet is not supported.
    Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 04 October 2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

For the steady stream of users fleeing both Arch & Manjaro because of guaranteed breakage every fortnite, having five years of stability certainly does...
      fortnite doesn't run on linux....

(obviously just being funny)

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

I am talking about 2x 1440p 144hz HDR10 screens on an AMD 6600XT. 10bit will not turn on anymore and is so longer supported by AMD drivers.
        Well nevermind i just noticed HDR10 defines 4:2:0 and not 4:4:4. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But it should work with 4:4:4 1440p yet is not supported.
        Just an FYI, I dealt with this exact problem (Using an LG C1 as a monitor), and even though it can do 4k at 120 Hz in Linux on an AMD GPU, it defaults to ycbcr420. This makes the colors (especially the reds) look like crap. My fix was to do an active HDMI 2.1 to Display 1.4 converter and use that. VRR doesn't work unfortunately, but it defaults to RGB 8b.

As far as I can tell AMD hardcodes the default color space to YCBCR for HDMI and RGB for Display Port. Nvidia lets you change between them. Not sure why they decided to do this, but I've read "wish list" items, but never seen any commits to the drivers that would let you change it. Currently the only way to change is to modify your device ID for your monitor but that only works if your monitor isn't too new. As the decoding is hit and miss for the newer displays (like my C1).

Comment

Originally posted by clockwork View Post

Just an FYI, I dealt with this exact problem (Using an LG C1 as a monitor), and even though it can do 4k at 120 Hz in Linux on an AMD GPU, it defaults to ycbcr420. This makes the colors (especially the reds) look like crap. My fix was to do an active HDMI 2.1 to Display 1.4 converter and use that. VRR doesn't work unfortunately, but it defaults to RGB 8b.

As far as I can tell AMD hardcodes the default color space to YCBCR for HDMI and RGB for Display Port. Nvidia lets you change between them. Not sure why they decided to do this, but I've read "wish list" items, but never seen any commits to the drivers that would let you change it. Currently the only way to change is to modify your device ID for your monitor but that only works if your monitor isn't too new. As the decoding is hit and miss for the newer displays (like my C1).
          I was able to switch to 10bit by doing ybcr422, it automatically switched to 10bit. I use DP 1.4 cable. It does look very different colour wise but 422 better than 420.

Comment

Working...
          X