Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDNet Cooperative Platformer Game Adds Vulkan Renderer

Phoronix: DDNet Cooperative Platformer Game Adds Vulkan Renderer

DDraceNetwork "DDNet" as an open-source cross-platform game building off the DDRace and Teeworlds games recently introduced a Vulkan renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its great to see that they have vulkan as modern alternative to opgengl but dispite beeing upwards compatible for the future. The mostly higher gains are already in the "I cant see a difference altitude". 950 fps is sooo much more snappy than 850 fps

Comment

A phronix benchmark would be.... you got it already

Comment

I like big numbers, and I like it more when big numbers get even bigger.

Comment

I'm surprised to see such a difference between the 1165G7 and 1280P; don't they basically have the same iGPU?

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
            I'm surprised to see such a difference between the 1165G7 and 1280P; don't they basically have the same iGPU?
            They're both Gen 12 / Xe, but the iGPU model numbers hint at some improvements in the Alder Lake version. Still, surprising to see that much difference -- that's like "different code path" level of difference.

Also, notable is just how different the two demos behave. Are these simply different maps? Maybe the first demo stressed some weird corner case.
            Last edited by coder; 19 September 2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

What should be noted is, that these iGPUs probably run into or close to a GPU bottleneck.
              On a desktop computer, where the GPU isn't the limiting factor Vulkan starts to shine (as expected actually, since Vulkan's main purpose is to eliminate driver overhead):

e.g. my benchmarks, but also other early benchmarks on different systems show that:
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

In this CPU bound benchmark the Vulkan implementation is easily 2x as fast. That's pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                that's like "different code path" level of difference.
                Yeah, I'd say so. May well be an erratum in the older rev that's non-conformant or otherwise broken, so it's being handled in SW instead. (This used to happen *all* the time in the early NV/ATI days).

Comment

Working...
                X