Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Preparing For Beta, Feature Freeze Next Week

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Preparing For Beta, Feature Freeze Next Week

Godot as one of the most successful open-source game engine projects is preparing for its Godot 4.0 Beta 1 milestone and as part of that will begin the feature freeze for this major engine update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess the song was correct.

More seriously I've been waiting for this for a long time. It's probably just a dummy announcement, since Godot releases are pretty terribly organised and will probably extend to some 6-10 betas and then some 6-10 release candidates later. But Godot 4.0 is a major step for game making, and Godot is such a massive improvement in usability compared to Unity or Unreal that it's an incredible step forward even if only for that.

I expect Godot 4.0 will be satisfactory with 4.1 being the one where they really bring out the big guns. Now it's time to finish 4.0 with as clear a code as can be.
    Last edited by Mahboi; 28 July 2022, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I like that they ship when they think it's ready, and that's it.
      That is how you get the stuff done clean and future-proof.

With the amount of code that got revamped, Godot 4.0 will be an example of what "major version update" means for real.

Comment

Working...
      X