No announcement yet.

Canonical Continues Working To Improve Its Steam Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the term Windoze, but not for the reason you imply. I believe that respect is earned, not merely given. And Windows has not earned the respect to be called their chosen name.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
      I use the term Windoze, but not for the reason you imply. I believe that respect is earned, not merely given. And Windows has not earned the respect to be called their chosen name.
      It's a tool.
      It's not about respect.
      This is literally a tool. It's creators named it "Windows".
      Do you call a hammer a "bummer" because you think screwdrivers are better than hammers?
      We're not talking about countries or political ideologies here, we're talking about computational equipment.
      You're literally attaching your identity to a tool and it makes you look psychotic.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
        Steam does not need to be Snapped. It needs to be free. There is no problem with Steam as it is. And trying to fix a problem that does not exist can only make things worse.
        It's been an established fact for years that, at least on Windows, the Steam client roots through your DNS cache and sends hashes of its contents to Valve in the name of anti-cheat. I'm kind of wondering how long it'll be before the ongoing march of EU privacy law bans that.

That means that, among other things, you could, at least in theory, get banned for cheating because you downloaded a cheat for a friend and never installed it yourself. I don't hold with that kind of "KGB is always watching" bullshit. (With corporations having attained so much power, we really need to extend "innocent until proven guilty" beyond just government action.)

On the rare occasions when I need to grab a Steam game to extract ScummVM or DOSBox assets that weren't included in the DRM-free portion of a Humble Indie Bundle, I shun it in favour of steamcmd and I still run that in a VM to play it safe.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 01 August 2022, 04:30 PM.

Comment

As for Ubuntu being the dominant distro, they created Upstart and then abandoned it in favour of systemd. They threw in behind Mir and even lied about Wayland flaws that didn't exist to justify it, and then abandoned that. Snap is just another attempt to tie a piece of the Linux ecosystem to them and, given time, it'll lose out in the same way.

...not to mention, they spun up the propaganda machine for snaps too.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            As for Ubuntu being the dominant distro, they created Upstart and then abandoned it in favour of systemd. They threw in behind Mir and even lied about Wayland flaws that didn't exist to justify it, and then abandoned that. Snap is just another attempt to tie a piece of the Linux ecosystem to them and, given time, it'll lose out in the same way.

...not to mention, they spun up the propaganda machine for snaps too.
            Thankfully Ubuntu's numbers are declining steadily. Canonical is never going to change pace, save for getting a whole new CEO (Much like what had to happen at Microsoft just for them to not have a phobia of Linux or open sourcing their own software), so it leaves plenty of room for Mint, Manjaro and PopOS to grow, which they are, rapidly. Even Linux novices are beginning to smell Canonical's stench.
            Mir was hilarious too, it was so complicated that it would have been a nightmare to actually develop for. I don't know how Canonical makes software this consistently bad. It's not even bad in a naive way, more like they chose every worse possible decision they could for everything they ever made. They remind me of Wheatley from Portal 2.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
              A great fun to see so many Flatpak and (presumably) Fedora lovers frustrated over Snaps. The 1st page of this discussion is just pure venom lol.

RPM Vs DEB, Gnome Vs KDE, now Flatpak Vs Snap... Linux community never disappoints
              As an Ubuntu user, the whole debacle with snaps is making me seriously consider switching to something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
                Snaps do not deny choice. They are a choice in and of itself. As long as there are multiple options to chose from, people should be free to choose Snaps if they want. It seems to me that YOU are trying to deny choice by outlawing Snaps for some reason. If you don't like Snap, fine, just ignore it. Don't go and deny other people's choice, even i they DO want to choose Snap.
                I'm currently looking up how to get rid of snap and while I found a tutorial, it promises that some fiddling with the system is required. That is not what I expect from a "easy to use beginner distribution". Which was much of the reason I chose Xubuntu to begin with. Perhaps my next choice should be to try another distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabiator View Post
                  That is not what I expect from a "easy to use beginner distribution".
                  But this motto doesn't mean you should be enabled to easily cut out some core functionality like snaps (yeah they are now).
                  If you don't like snaps then probably you just need another distro. At least that's what Ubuntu devs think.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
                    But this motto doesn't mean you should be enabled to easily cut out some core functionality like snaps (yeah they are now).
                    If you don't like snaps then probably you just need another distro. At least that's what Ubuntu devs think.
                    That sound very much like the One Microsoft Way. I guess it is indeed time to get a teensy bit more ambitious with my choice of distro
                    Endeavour OS maybe? That sounds like Arch plus some help at initial installation, but leaving the user alone later. It just so happens that the parts for a major computer upgrade arrived today...

Comment

Working...
                    X