No announcement yet.

Canonical Continues Working To Improve Its Steam Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would've liked to see Valve distribute in a cross platform packaging rather than someone else doing it unofficially.

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
      Would've liked to see Valve distribute in a cross platform packaging rather than someone else doing it unofficially.
      Steam has always been a finished product distributed as a cross-platform package. It comes with a ton of its own libraries just to avoid linking to something your distro doesn't provide or provides in a different way.

Comment

it's worrying when they fix it on per-application basis instead of going down to the root of the problem.

one of the issues with snaps can likely be alleviated by moving away from squashfs . Apparently there is a contender in that spot - dwarfs which mounts much quicker and seems more space efficient as well.

Comment

The whole reson for snap is because of the _really_ slow updates come on Debian and Ubuntu, so no modern recently app works. Instead bundle everything in these containers instead. Seems rather a long way around the core problem of these distros...

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            Are they delusional or some shit?
            They most certainly are.

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
              I do not use Snaps, Flatpaks nor Appimages. They are a "solution" to some problems. But they are the wrong solution to most problems.

As Linux users, we can do better. And half the awesomeness that is Linux is all about CHOICE. You do not have to use the solution another found. You are free to choose another option, or to make your own option. Snaps deny us this choice.
              Snaps do not deny choice. They are a choice in and of itself. As long as there are multiple options to chose from, people should be free to choose Snaps if they want. It seems to me that YOU are trying to deny choice by outlawing Snaps for some reason. If you don't like Snap, fine, just ignore it. Don't go and deny other people's choice, even i they DO want to choose Snap.

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post

Snaps do not deny choice. They are a choice in and of itself. As long as there are multiple options to chose from, people should be free to choose Snaps if they want. It seems to me that YOU are trying to deny choice by outlawing Snaps for some reason. If you don't like Snap, fine, just ignore it. Don't go and deny other people's choice, even i they DO want to choose Snap.
                Actually, Snaps do deny choice. As do Flatpaks and Appimages. The issue is that when an application moves to those formats, they tend to abandon maintaining/distributing the normal versions.

For an example, look to VLC. If you want a copy that you can download and toss in an external archive for keeping for a future where Internet may be unavailable, you are pretty much forced to use one of these formats.

I have no objection to you having a choice I do not favor. That is the nature of choices. But in this case it has been my experience that such packages are a serious problem for the future.

You can and likely will blame VLC for not maintaining a nice old fashioned Tar.gz version. That is fine, but this is just one example of the problem. There are many more.

Comment

Snap:
                  изображение.png

Comment

A great fun to see so many Flatpak and (presumably) Fedora lovers frustrated over Snaps. The 1st page of this discussion is just pure venom lol.

RPM Vs DEB, Gnome Vs KDE, now Flatpak Vs Snap... Linux community never disappoints
                    Last edited by openminded; 28 July 2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
                      A great fun to see so many Flatpak and (presumably) Fedora lovers frustrated over Snaps. The 1st page of this discussion is just pure venom lol.
                      I don't care about either one of them. I certainly can't bother enough to hate them.

Comment

Working...
                      X