Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Continues Working To Improve Its Steam Snap

Phoronix: Canonical Continues Working To Improve Its Steam Snap

Canonical engineers continue working on their Steam Snap for making that confined version of Valve's Linux game client viable and useful to Ubuntu gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Free tip for Canonical how to improve snap.
    Code:
    sudo apt purge snapd
    Here, you're welcome.

Comment

Are they delusional or some shit?

Comment

This certainly looks poor from the outside. Likely just a leadership/advisorship issue.

Comment

This just further demonstrates that Canonical is absolutely dumb. (Edited because I used a word that some would be offended by.}

Anyone who has used third party Proton builds like Glorious Eggroll makes, already knows that attempting to contain Steam is not just a bad idea. This will absolutely fail. At best it will break Steam and Proton. At worst... I do not want to finish that thought.

Steam does not need to be Snapped. It needs to be free. There is no problem with Steam as it is. And trying to fix a problem that does not exist can only make things worse.

Keep your filthy hands off Steam, Canonical.

Thanks everyone. Have a nice day.

Comment

I should also point out that Steam does updates to itself no less than several times each week. Snap Steam could not do that. Or perhaps it could, but it is still a bad idea to change good working software made by a company that made Proton. If Valve wanted Steam in a Snap, thy would probably do it themselves.

I like Valve. They are pretty much the biggest thing to happen to Linux gaming other than Lutris. With the Steam Deck, they had to make Linux compatible with almost every single game on Steam. And they have largely succeeded in that.

By doing that, they have made Linux a good option for gamers. Windoze loses its monopoly largely due to Steam. Thank you Steam.

I do not use Snaps, Flatpaks nor Appimages. They are a "solution" to some problems. But they are the wrong solution to most problems.

As Linux users, we can do better. And half the awesomeness that is Linux is all about CHOICE. You do not have to use the solution another found. You are free to choose another option, or to make your own option. Snaps deny us this choice.
            Last edited by OmniNegro; 28 July 2022, 06:10 AM. Reason: Missed a period.

Comment

Note: I agree with you.
              Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
              This just further demonstrates that Canonical is absolutely dumb. (Edited because I used a word that some would be offended by.}

Anyone who has used third party Proton builds like Glorious Eggroll makes, already knows that attempting to contain Steam is not just a bad idea. This will absolutely fail. At best it will break Steam and Proton. At worst... I do not want to finish that thought.

Steam does not need to be Snapped. It needs to be free. There is no problem with Steam as it is. And trying to fix a problem that does not exist can only make things worse.

Keep your filthy hands off Steam, Canonical.
              Thanks everyone. Have a nice day.
              Here I am using flatpak version of Steam. And you are right that custom proton kind of breaks the utility that comes with the custom proton (cannot use gamescope as an example, with more manual tweaks I actually can). But free or not, I would say.. somewhere on the line that make it so the user can modify the container to what ever the user wants with a label that says "usage can cause application to run NOT as intended". I really don't know how snap works or if the user can customize their snap containers though (bear that in mind).

Flatpak to me felt the natural evolution to jump into because of it's tools it gave me to utilize. But of course, limit some and other parts can cause problems (nothing is really perfect), but testing and manage the problems when the time allows brings knowledge and wisdom.
              Even though Snap seems like a below third-party package manager, at least it's an alternative.

Comment

yes, snaps are bad.. but at least Canonical is trying very hard to improve them, instead of acting like nothing is wrong.

Comment

Canonical: let's create a huge problem and heroically solve it.

Comment

FYI, Valve/Steam have put their weight behind Flatpak, this is dead before it even began.

Steam already uses Bubblewrap (Flatpaks sandboxing tech), supports Flatpak on the Steam Deck, and whilst will likely never use Flatpak itself to ship games, employs people to work on Flatpak/Bubblewrap and semi-supports the unofficial Flatpak (which is still in a rough shape, but mostly works)

Comment

Working...
                    X