Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Hits New Multi-Year High, AMD Powering ~40% Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Run good distro with provides recent stable kernels not some SHITTY out-of-date ubuntu.
    The issue you are talking about is fixed in recent kernels.
    It also appears to be fixed in the recent hwe kernels on Ubuntu. But my point was more that it's the sort of issue that a non-technical person will encounter, throw their hands up in disgust and forever label Linux as "that OS which just doesn't work."

Comment

Originally posted by xunil View Post

I don't know, I mean, the issues that the Phoronix test revealed were definitely there as of the date of the review, but issues resolves quite quickly nowadays with rolling-release distros.
      I'm actually typing this on an Asus 513QY (AMD Advantage Edition) right now and, granted, I sun Solus which is a rolling-distro with later kernels and package versions than for ex. Ubuntu. I have not experienced that shutdown bug ever since I got the computer in the beginning of September this year.
      All except Bluetooth is now working for this computer, at least on Solus and concerning the performance, both graphics cards works fine and the performance really is admirable in Linux!
      The only "bug" I have noticed occurring, related to the GPU's, is that I sometimes need to start the program "CoreCtrl" in order for some Steam games to detect and rather use my descrete GPU (Radeon 6800M) than the APU (Vega).
      I just searched for the "shutdown bug" you mention; I can find a random restart issue, but nothing explicitly shutdown related...? Yesterday, my G513QY decided to start taking 90+ seconds to shut down - is that what you mean? It had been perfectly fine the day before (and the week prior).

edit: And now I'm even more confused. Just shut down (public holiday tomorrow so not staying until late-late as I would often do) and it shut down in maybe 5 seconds.
      Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 02 November 2021, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

It also appears to be fixed in the recent hwe kernels on Ubuntu. But my point was more that it's the sort of issue that a non-technical person will encounter, throw their hands up in disgust and forever label Linux as "that OS which just doesn't work."
        Yes I agree but that is an Ubuntu problem with I why I HATE that distro so much. Providing recent stable kernel updates should be opt-out, not opt-in.
        Fedora does a way better job a general desktop distro for non-technical then ubuntu ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

AMD does it as well. There are no shortages. They are manipulating the market, they have formed a cartel and governments do nothing about it. It is especially telling when you see that none of them releases any budget/mainstream cards any more. Transistors are very easy to split. They could easily deliver cut-down versions of their architectures for more affordable prices but why do that when they can just keep making only several hundred euros cards and then wait for our pcs to malfunction and our patience to wear thin.... They are the only game in town, you pay them or else you get no gaming.
          While i don't deny the possibility of something shady going on between the two, there are three other (imho more likely) reasons:
          - it's not just the production of the GPU that is limited, other ICs or even basic SMDs are in short supply, too
          - it's not really trivial to set up a new GPU with less area, you can't simply split them in half. Plus, after the design you still have pretty high initial costs for the mask and so on
          - if the total number of producible cards is limited, it's makes economic sense to focus on the SKUs with the highest margin if you can assume everything will be bought anyway. No need for a cartel when there is no real competition/consumer-choice anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Yes I agree but that is an Ubuntu problem with I why I HATE that distro so much. Providing recent stable kernel updates should be opt-out, not opt-in.
            Fedora does a way better job a general desktop distro for non-technical then ubuntu ever was.
            Yeah, I'm just more comfortable with apt and pacman.

Comment

"New Multi-Year High!!!!!!": it's 1.1% now, instead of 1%...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                That is a 10 % jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
                  As pointed out earlier by someone - its 0.1% ~ 200.000 Users.

Comment

By the way, I just was asked yesterday to participate in the survey and contributed to the number for the following month.

Comment

see, you folks were right, it was the games why people didn't come to Linux. After a mere 8 years we've already reached a _record_ 1.13% share!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X