Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Marketshare Hits New Multi-Year High, AMD Powering ~40% Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    At a .11% increase per month, it would only take Linux 422 years before it over takes Windows as the preferred OS for gaming via Steam.
    you skipped math classes at school, didn't you? it's much simpler to overtake macos as second preferred os btw, "better than macos" isn't that bad, unless you are just mindless hater

Comment

• Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      I too feel if you've been fully vaccinated you shouldn't need wear a mask indoors
      indoors is the place where you have higher virus concentration. it's not a question of your feelings

Comment

• Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        I too feel if you've been fully vaccinated you shouldn't need wear a mask indoors, but private stores and centres can enforce whatever laws they like. Its their property.
        Even a fully vaccinated can be a carrier. And it also depend on your age. The over 70 with existing medical conditions vaccine does not provide 100 percent protection from death yes it way better than no vaccine but those still may be advisable to wear a mask indoors.

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        A forced vaccine mandate for front line workers (interact with public) is fine IMO. Death rates are kept quite low or at zero thanks to vaccines, better then alternative iyam....[/I]
        Vaccinated normally have a lower spread rate then the unvaccinated. So enough vaccinated in theory you should be able to get rid of the virus completely out the population. I really don't get the stupidity saying people have to live with the virus. 80-90 percent vaccinated normally results in virus having a spread rate less than 1 so in other words going to come zero some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Improving Windows support on Linux is a spit in the face of Linux fans only they don't actually see or recognize that - it further proves how incapable and impotent Linux as a platform is.

Linux in the Steam HW survey running ... Windows games. If it's not pathetic and utterly insulting, then I don't know what that is. Let's celebrate it!
          It is at this point when it became finally clear that not only birdie is here just to suffer, it is also the moment he went full retard.

Birdie, please, never go full retard.

Comment

• Originally posted by birdie View Post
            "on CPU architectures other than those supported by Windows" - how many people exactly run Wine/DXVK on architectures other than x86-64? 5? 10? How does it affect Linux on the desktop? How does this feature make it better? I don't understand.
            Haha, yes, somewhere between those extremes. I meant to say, Wine & co. is great on its own, and Linux, it seems to me, would be the obvious host of choice to run it on in the foreseeable future, with the added bonus of portability across architectures such as aarch64. Might be important in the future, might not, I tend to get carried away by my train of thought.

As for the rest of your post: yep, I know, especially outside of Steam, binary releases of games on e.g. Humble are quite the mess, and it's not entirely the games' fault. But I didn't assert Linux is already at that level of "platformness", so to speak. While there's work to do, aren't containers the probable solution going forward? Aren't things such as (emphasis on "such as") Flatpak runtimes (see "org dot freedesktop dot Platform" etc.) already the solution?
            They would take care of everything except kernel compatibility, which is outside of scope for games anyway. At best, they should poll for the presence of certain syscalls and display an error message at launch in case they are a hard dependency and aren't present. Userspace graphics stack belongs in the runtime; display protocol is probably taken care of by a library such as SDL2, and any system integration would be accomplished via portals. Then, if that system integration doesn't work, it's the compositor that's broken, not the game, so again, it would be outside of scope.

Aren't those a lot better than an undefined system state in Windows, despite its proclaimed API/ABI stability? It would be a matter of a stateless runtime vs. an entire stateful operating system with lots of moving parts; legacy Windows games already not running on recent Windows releases doesn't need to be repeated. Bold added simply because it sums up my post. Also, I think containers/runtimes don't carry an awful lot of storage overhead, either.

Mind: these are not rhetorical questions. I'm genuinely convinced Linux stands a better chance, but if you think these solutions aren't enough, I want to hear that. I guess time will tell, it's not like they are being targeted right now by triple-A games anyway, so their worth is yet to be proven.

Comment

• I see the fact Steam Deck is using AMD APU and Linux triggers Intel/NVIDIA/Windows fanboy birdie a lot. Mister stable Windows platform with "how to fix shit" articles after almost every windows update out there

Comment

• Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

I think he enjoys it.
                I don't think so because even he is irritated by birdie.

Comment

• Originally posted by xunil View Post
                  <snip>
                  I use mine for both work and private stuff, running Solus Budgie, so I have turned off all of the flashy lights and RGB and that disturbing ASUS ROG boot-up sound to make it less "unprofessional" and it works perfectly for my use case.

<snip>

Yeah, regarding the speed of shutdown on newer HW, the general speed of SSD's today sort of removes the need for Hibernation in many ways, at least for my use cases. So I rahter opt for turning it off as the boot up time is very fast.
                  Same for me. Work and private use.

I never used Hibernate even before SSDs existed.

Yes, I turned off that "whoosh" boot up noise immediately - made me jump out of my skin the first time I turned the thing on and it played a full volume! I actually like the keyboard backlight (I always set it to static red) and the screen is probably the best I've ever had on any system (laptop or desktop) except when I used an insanely expensive BenQ monitor at a previous job.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  Exactly what I was just talking about. Asus doesn't support Linux in any official capacity. Of course you'll run into problems in that case. Especially in the beginning before specific drivers are available or mainlined. I had an Asus for 9 years, and it took about 2-3 years before having it fully stable.
                  Ignoring the custom builders who support Linux explicitly, even those OEMs/ODMs who do support Linux often only support it "in supported configurations" (read: buy the pre-installed Linux system from their web store). Asus don't support Linux on their motherboards, either, officially, but they all work. One of their nicer workstation boards (which I have at work) only officially supports Windows 10 64-bit (didn't bother to check others)...

Comment

• Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    Vaccinated normally have a lower spread rate then the unvaccinated. So enough vaccinated in theory you should be able to get rid of the virus completely out the population. I really don't get the stupidity saying people have to live with the virus. 80-90 percent vaccinated normally results in virus having a spread rate less than 1 so in other words going to come zero some point.
                    There's even a prior example. COVID-19 is also known as SARS-CoV-2... we managed to get rid of SARS-CoV-1 (the original thing we called "SARS") because we weren't stupid about our response to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      and you are wearing tinfoil hat. amd doesn't sell videocards and doesn't sell in retail. your retail shop sets price, so if you want to look for cartel, you should start there
                      Stop talking man, you always leeching this forum. AMD and NV in a 1500 bucks retail GPU, they sell the centric chip alone for 1000+. The rest of the chain gets nothing. They don't have any more room for profit. When a third vendor comes out like Intel or PowerVR, we all now what to do once and for all (including MS users). Idiotic comments like that they will also have availability problems, put them you know where. NV just closed the faucet even more on purpose like the trash they are. They thing that their products must be paid with gold or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X