Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Publishes New Steam Deck FAQ With A Few New Details Shared

Phoronix: Valve Publishes New Steam Deck FAQ With A Few New Details Shared

Valve today published a "Steam Deck FAQ" page sharing some additional information on this forthcoming Arch Linux powered handheld game system that will begin shipping at the end of Q4...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Steam-Deck-FAQ

"intended for the Steak Deck" ... now I'm getting hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Mershl View Post
      "intended for the Steak Deck" ... now I'm getting hungry
      Where? I don't see it.

OK I guess I'll report a typo:

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Making use of the microSD card with the Steam Deck will default to using the EXT4 file-system with case-folding (case insensitivity) enabled.
        I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT (or a way to mount a device as the user so he/she can write data to it, or an "anybody" user that allows permission to anybody).
        Last edited by tildearrow; 22 September 2021, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Where? I don't see it.

OK I guess I'll report a typo:
          Fixed it already that time
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT..
            You will be able to format it using whatever FS you like, it defaults to EXT4 because it is a Linux box and that's more or less what most people use in Linux.

I for one I'm delighted, I can't stand FAT/NTFS and promoting anything else is great, I understand why the entire industry always dances around MS's tune, but there is no need in this case.

Can't wait to get my hands on a SteamDeck, I'm genuinely excited for a device for the first time in years.

Comment

- The Steam Deck is not optimized for VR gaming/headsets.
              I actually had a conversation explaining that the statements from a Valve Developer obviously were a generalization -- and not meant to be taken literally as "every game on steam" -- citing that no reasonable person would expect the Steam Deck to run their high-res high frame-rate VR-only games.

Someone replied that they "expected Steam Deck to do VR from their statement" I facepalmed and moved on.

I'm glad to see this kind of clarification ahead of Launch so expectations are not so runaway hypetrain crazy.

Really good to see, I hope to see more clarification in the near future before launch too. Very excited to get my Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I actually had a conversation explaining that the statements from a Valve Developer obviously were a generalization -- and not meant to be taken literally as "every game on steam" -- citing that no reasonable person would expect the Steam Deck to run their high-res high frame-rate VR-only games.

Someone replied that they "expected Steam Deck to do VR from their statement" I facepalmed and moved on.

I'm glad to see this kind of clarification ahead of Launch so expectations are not so runaway hypetrain crazy.

Really good to see, I hope to see more clarification in the near future before launch too. Very excited to get my Deck.
                - I'm not the messiah
                People: Only the true messiah would say he's not the messiah! So he is the messiah!

Comment

I wonder if they have a plan for anti-cheat fixing the major bug of playing Destiny 2 through Proton and getting your account banned.

Comment

I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT (or a way to mount a device as the user so he/she can write data to it, or an "anybody" user that allows permission to anybody).
                    No need for a special filesystem. Plumb idmapped mounts into however the desktop environment mounts removable drives, and you can have effective ownerlessness on any FS.

Comment

Working...
                    X