Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Publishes New Steam Deck FAQ With A Few New Details Shared

Phoronix: Valve Publishes New Steam Deck FAQ With A Few New Details Shared

Valve today published a "Steam Deck FAQ" page sharing some additional information on this forthcoming Arch Linux powered handheld game system that will begin shipping at the end of Q4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"intended for the Steak Deck" ... now I'm getting hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Mershl View Post
      "intended for the Steak Deck" ... now I'm getting hungry
      Where? I don't see it.

OK I guess I'll report a typo:

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Making use of the microSD card with the Steam Deck will default to using the EXT4 file-system with case-folding (case insensitivity) enabled.
        I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT (or a way to mount a device as the user so he/she can write data to it, or an "anybody" user that allows permission to anybody).
        Last edited by tildearrow; 22 September 2021, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Where? I don't see it.

OK I guess I'll report a typo:
          Fixed it already that time
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT..
            You will be able to format it using whatever FS you like, it defaults to EXT4 because it is a Linux box and that's more or less what most people use in Linux.

I for one I'm delighted, I can't stand FAT/NTFS and promoting anything else is great, I understand why the entire industry always dances around MS's tune, but there is no need in this case.

Can't wait to get my hands on a SteamDeck, I'm genuinely excited for a device for the first time in years.

Comment

- The Steam Deck is not optimized for VR gaming/headsets.
              I actually had a conversation explaining that the statements from a Valve Developer obviously were a generalization -- and not meant to be taken literally as "every game on steam" -- citing that no reasonable person would expect the Steam Deck to run their high-res high frame-rate VR-only games.

Someone replied that they "expected Steam Deck to do VR from their statement" I facepalmed and moved on.

I'm glad to see this kind of clarification ahead of Launch so expectations are not so runaway hypetrain crazy.

Really good to see, I hope to see more clarification in the near future before launch too. Very excited to get my Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

I actually had a conversation explaining that the statements from a Valve Developer obviously were a generalization -- and not meant to be taken literally as "every game on steam" -- citing that no reasonable person would expect the Steam Deck to run their high-res high frame-rate VR-only games.

Someone replied that they "expected Steam Deck to do VR from their statement" I facepalmed and moved on.

I'm glad to see this kind of clarification ahead of Launch so expectations are not so runaway hypetrain crazy.

Really good to see, I hope to see more clarification in the near future before launch too. Very excited to get my Deck.
                - I'm not the messiah
                People: Only the true messiah would say he's not the messiah! So he is the messiah!

Comment

I wonder if they have a plan for anti-cheat fixing the major bug of playing Destiny 2 through Proton and getting your account banned.

Comment

I wish there was a generic owner-less filesystem for these devices like FAT (or a way to mount a device as the user so he/she can write data to it, or an "anybody" user that allows permission to anybody).
                    No need for a special filesystem. Plumb idmapped mounts into however the desktop environment mounts removable drives, and you can have effective ownerlessness on any FS.

Comment

Working...
                    X