Valve Publishes New Steam Deck FAQ With A Few New Details Shared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yump View Post

No need for a special filesystem. Plumb idmapped mounts into however the desktop environment mounts removable drives, and you can have effective ownerlessness on any FS.
    Not any FS? BTRFS only recently got support IIRC, and OverlayFS is up next. I believe EXT4 and XFS have support atm, not sure about F2FS or others.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

WSL on Windows uses EXT4 or something I think? I believe there's been an EXT4 driver for Windows available for some time too.
      WSL2 is a VM with a running Linux Kernel. You can passthrough the storage and mount it on windows if you like. you can also do this with any other VM. But there are also IFS Drivers for windows that you could try. Paragon sells a driver for that (~20€). Or you can use free software to explore the drive like Ext2explore.

Need to access files on Linux? Easy! Here is a freeware tool for extracting files from Ext2/Ext3/Ext4, HFS and ReiserFS partitions in Windows.

-------------------------

But about the fs. I hoped you could use exfat or UDF for portability.
      Last edited by Nille; 24 September 2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

WSL on Windows uses EXT4 or something I think? I believe there's been an EXT4 driver for Windows available for some time too. While I'm with you with wanting to see BTRFS/ZFS get official support/adoption on Windows more than EXT4, it'd probably be EXT4 before either of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Valve would work together to get EXT4 going, but then again we have NTFS upstreaming into the kernel, so perhaps that'd get pushed more as compatibility between the two OS with SteamDeck?

For internal storage instead of external, I imagine like mobile devices with microSD storage, it might be available via USB connection to the OS that way. I think that requires some not so great protocol for Android devices (MTP?), but abstracts the filesystem part. Some manufacturers just provide an app for Windows and macOS users which I often found to work much more reliably and perform better than the alternative Linux would use.
        Technically speaking, with WSL(2) you can use any file system including ZFS. It's just a VM and you can pass through anything from Linux to Windows from WSL.

While there is Ext4 work on Windows, personally, I don't see the point when we could have better crossplatform BTRFS or ZFS. Both of those have fast file codecs like LZ4 or Zstd as well as deduplication technology built-in so they'll assist in saving space from all the Proton prefixes and more.

I used to be better with Android. Thank goodness I've almost smoked enough pot to forget how Android does Android.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

You can share the drive with Windows and use NTFS on it IF Steam will change its behavior to store compdata always on the main system drive. Recently I tried to do just that (install a game on external NTFS storage) and the game couldn't lunch at all until I made a symlink so that compdata was on Linux FS. Then the game run without any problem.
          Did you go into the Steam Library settings and point that towards the Library on that volume? Adding removable drives there usually works for me and all my games just pop-up. You have to treat it like a fixed disk until you remove it from the Steam Library....don't remove it from your PC until you remove it from Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Did you go into the Steam Library settings and point that towards the Library on that volume? Adding removable drives there usually works for me and all my games just pop-up. You have to treat it like a fixed disk until you remove it from the Steam Library....don't remove it from your PC until you remove it from Steam.
            Yes, I added new library path in Steam settings and I choosed that while installing game

Comment

Working...
            X