Steam On Linux Still Tap Dancing Around 0.9% Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    so why Valve inc. is still pushing so much effort for linux support?
    Pushing? They employ a couple of people who develop Proton and Steam Linux Client - that's it. Why do they do that? No idea.

Comment

After 8 years 0.9% - this is disaster. And I remember the texts of the linux fanboys. Linux's entry on Steam was supposed to quickly destroy Windows because free and better - LOL: D.

Comment

I've been using W10 to play some games. The other day I saw for the first time the survey. I played on Linux for many years and I tought the survey was just non visible telemetry. Definitely something strange happens with the Linux hardware survey

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
          The problem is that Win 10, 11 is more of less free for the user to upgrade. If it was 40-50 $ per machine then Linux would sykrocket
          The amount of time people spend tinkering with Linux, setting it right, fighting its issues, making games work costs a lot more than $50.

Windows on the other hand has been "install and forget about it" for more than a decade now. Windows even updates drivers for you nowadays.

Comment

I've said this before... even if 100% of Windows games run fine on Linux, this percentage isn't going to change much. Some folks believe that everyone wants to jump to Linux as soon as X game is available. No, most users don't care and want to stay on whatever system they're on. You'll start seeing this percentage jump when PCs come preinstalled with Linux on a very large scale.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Daily reminder that i have never witnessed a steam survey on my client on Linux. Just this summer sale i spent 170 euros on linux native games, still no survey. There is something fishy going on here.
              I've never been asked to participate in the survey under Windows, under Linux I was asked right away. Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Comment

I continue to throw money into Steam, buying every game I get the impulse to, because I know a significant chunk goes to Valve and they see I am using Linux. Best way to keep them going and reward all the hard work they've done so far.

Comment

I think Valve tried to push Linux too early with SteamOS and Steam machines etc. I think the Steam marketshare was temporarily at 2.0% back then, but people quickly figured out that Linux wasn't ready yet for gaming.
                  Now with Proton on the board and all the graphics drivers generally being fast and stable, Linux gaming is actually in a nice state. But people have lost interest since and stopped bothering.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                    so why Valve inc. is still pushing so much effort for linux support?
                    I do believe that back in the day Gabe addressed this himself, but its been a while so I don't specifically remember. The short answer is The Windows Store/The Microsoft Store is why so much effort is happening.

What would happen to the Steam client if Microsoft locked up the storefront and only allowed the Microsoft store on their platform?

Valve needed an insurance policy. Linux is that policy.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                      I think Valve tried to push Linux too early with SteamOS and Steam machines etc. I think the Steam marketshare was temporarily at 2.0% back then, but people quickly figured out that Linux wasn't ready yet for gaming.
                      Now with Proton on the board and all the graphics drivers generally being fast and stable, Linux gaming is actually in a nice state. But people have lost interest since and stopped bothering.
                      same for game efforts. around that time, there were plenty of major game ports for linux. nowadays, not so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X