No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux In February Still Residing Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess we need the kernel changes for better anti cheat performance to come to the people and better support for these quadruple a games before we get higher numbers.
    Slowly but surely things get better.
    Indeed a long game. Not everyone is as patient as me with wine and proton not handling a certain game well.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

What if don't really like running steam?
      On Windows many people (like me) very rarely use steam.

I more often use Epic and some times uPlay or Gog. Some people not run game stores at all, too like you.

Comment

Just let them make Half-Life 4 a timed Linux-only exclusive for like 6 months or so.
        Then check the numbers again.
        I think they should really do that, for all these years they've been contributing to linux support.

Comment

I think we just need to accept that this is how it will remain as long as it is more convenient to run a single-boot Windows or MacOS system than to run a system with Linux on it, whether in a single-boot or dual-boot configuration. Many organisations (including the one I work for) are tied hand-and-foot to Microsoft solutions. Office, Teams -- it simply runs much better on Windows and Mac. This pushes people to have one of those operating systems installed on any computers they use for work, and not many are prepared to put up with the limitations of running it in a virtual machine.

Comment

no wonder. there is no survey on linux. its a miracle that they report even that number

Comment

I too doubt those numbers will ever change too quickly. The mere possibility to play on Linux is not enough. I rather see a chance for the OS when it presents advantages and I am sure this will happen. Like better fps on games or an alternative after an oveall security-fallout on Windows.

But to be honest, I like the community to be smol. You always meet your nix friends everywhere on forums and games. Way better community, as if everyone had Linux.

Comment

It's glad to see that Steam users under Linux continues to progress, slowly but steadily (let's not forget that those percentages are meaningless by themselves, because they don't reflect that global increase of total Steam users).

Comment

IOW gaming on Linux just like Linux on the desktop remains an oddity and I see zero reasons for that changing any time soon unless Linux distros decide to work out a common base system akin to LSB which has long been abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by ntropy View Post
                    I too doubt those numbers will ever change too quickly. The mere possibility to play on Linux is not enough. I rather see a chance for the OS when it presents advantages and I am sure this will happen. Like better fps on games or an alternative after an oveall security-fallout on Windows.

But to be honest, I like the community to be smol. You always meet your nix friends everywhere on forums and games. Way better community, as if everyone had Linux.
                    Most people roll their eyes at Linux and don't care if its completely free. Most people do not want it.

Linux has its own problems. Lately I see more problems on Linux than Windows. Since you don't want to smack talk Linux, I will do it for you hehe ;-)

Comment

**Looks at empty wallet**

This isn't the 1% group I want to belong to.

Comment

Working...
                      X