Steam On Linux In February Still Residing Below 1%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

I donĀ“t think they loose money there. Compared to the sheer number of users of the platform with ~0,8% a few devs paychecks are payed easily.
    Its almost definitely at a loss right now, I highly doubt that Linux users buy enough to make a net profit for the ammount of work and monetary investment that they put into linux. I seriously doubt that the ROI of their linux endeavors, At this moment, is a positive one.

Comment

I feel guilty for only gaming on Windows, but hay, if my sound no longer works on Ubuntu 20.10 because I upgraded my motherboard and they do not support it, then so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Its almost definitely at a loss right now, I highly doubt that Linux users buy enough to make a net profit for the ammount of work and monetary investment that they put into linux. I seriously doubt that the ROI of their linux endeavors, At this moment, is a positive one.
        I buy on Steam only because of Linux support. If it wasn't for it I would go with GoG. And on tech-gaming forums you can find alot people doing it this way.

Comment

I suppose this 0.8% produces enough revenue for 10 people team and it's why steam on Linux will be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            How is a Windows single-boot more convenient than a Linux single-boot or distros dual-boot (Windows excluded)?
            It runs all of the applications that the vast majority of people are used to and/or are forced to use. Linux only runs a subset of those natively (think Chrome and VLC); others can be made to run but require a compatibility layer (i.e., Wine or a variant thereof).

Teams work well on Linux.
            Yes, the Teams Linux client works. I use it every day to collaborate with colleagues working from Windows or Mac-only machines, which means nearly all of them. The 'raise hand' feature sometimes stops working for two or more weeks in succession, however, and other features are completely missing (blur background, together mode, 3*3 grid in meetings, the ability to use breakout rooms actively).

The 3*3 grid was actually available for a while (around October, if I remember correctly), but then suddenly stopped working again. Everything points to Microsoft purposely crippling the Linux client, but doing it in such a way that it appears as if they support all major operating systems.

I've managed for 12-15 years (depending on the computer) without using Windows at home, and my IT-curiousness is pretty limited. Convenience also (but not only) comes from old habits. Once you let go of the comparison with Windows, you can freely enjoy Linux. Which of course doesn't mean it's perfect. We all know it isn't.
            I almost exclusively use Linux, largely because I do compare it with Windows. The facts that I have much more privacy, that there are no more forced updates, and that I have the ability to change my DE without having to replace my entire OS all lead me to sticking with Linux. That doesn't change the fact that my choice forces me to jump through extra hoops to carry out certain tasks, though. I cannot afford to not have 100% compatibility with MS Office files, and therefore run MS Office through Wine and in a virtual machine. I need that same virtual machine to access a database which lacks a Linux-native client. Most people just wouldn't bother setting up their computer in this way - if they stick with Windows or Mac, these applications will work straight out of the box.
            Last edited by Cattus_D; 04 March 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I don't think people realize just how much a valve is doing within Linux. this is a list of some of the stuff they dump money in

1. They hire people to work on wine (proton) 2. They have devs for linux app 3. they hire people to work on mesa (both for drivers and misc like zink)

4. hires people to work on display stack
              5. Hiring collabora
              6. Developing technologies like pressure vessel

and those are what I can think of off the top of my head. it's not "a couple of developers" the ammount of resources valve has put into furthering linux to make it suitable for gaming is nothing to scoff at.

while steam doesn't release the financial info for this stuff, I highly doubt that they make their full investment back, from people who play on linux, and not on windows (important distinction as many gamers will still dual boot or play in a VM)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                I don't think people realize just how much a valve is doing within Linux. this is a list of some of the stuff they dump money in
                1. They hire people to work on wine (proton) 2. They have devs for linux app 3. they hire people to work on mesa (both for drivers and misc like zink)
                4. hires people to work on display stack
                5. Hiring collabora
                6. Developing technologies like pressure vessel
                and those are what I can think of off the top of my head. it's not "a couple of developers" the ammount of resources valve has put into furthering linux to make it suitable for gaming is nothing to scoff at.
                while steam doesn't release the financial info for this stuff, I highly doubt that they make their full investment back, from people who play on linux, and not on windows (important distinction as many gamers will still dual boot or play in a VM)
                yes the ACO compiler for mesa for me makes it clear that they plan a AMD(CPU+GPU) steambox.
                the first steambox was a failure but thats only because Intel+Nvidia is a failure.

and i think they do not go for a APU like system like playstation5
                instead they for sure want chiplet design something like this:

IO chip crossbar with HBM2/3 with minimum 32GB Vram
                chiplet conected to the IQ crossbar with ZEN4 and RDNA and maybe CDNA for AI acceleration.
                instead of SSD they maybe go for NVRAM Non-volatile_random-access_memory connected to the IO chip to.

compared to playstation5 such a system would be very high-end
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Cattus_D View Post

It runs all of the applications that the vast majority of people are used to and/or are forced to use. Linux only runs a subset of those natively (think Chrome and VLC); others can be made to run but require a compatibility layer (i.e., Wine or a variant thereof).

Yes, the Teams Linux client works. I use it every day to collaborate with colleagues working from Windows or Mac-only machines, which means nearly all of them. The 'raise hand' feature sometimes stops working for two or more weeks in succession, however, and other features are completely missing (blur background, together mode, 3*3 grid in meetings, the ability to use breakout rooms actively).

The 3*3 grid was actually available for a while (around October, if I remember correctly), but then suddenly stopped working again. Everything points to Microsoft purposely crippling the Linux client, but doing it in such a way that it appears as if they support all major operating systems.

I almost exclusively use Linux, largely because I do compare it with Windows. The facts that I have much more privacy, that there are no more forced updates, and that I have the ability to change my DE without having to replace my entire OS all lead me to sticking with Linux. That doesn't change the fact that my choice forces me to jump through extra hoops to carry out certain tasks, though. I cannot afford to not have 100% compatibility with MS Office files, and therefore run MS Office through Wine and in a virtual machine. I need that same virtual machine to access a database which lacks a Linux-native client. Most people just wouldn't bother setting up their computer in this way - if they stick with Windows or Mac, these applications will work straight out of the box.
                  Again, you are in part stuck on your Windows perception when you say "Linux only runs a subset of those natively". It's a subset from Windows-inherited apps, sure, but there are many other sets beside that subset. And you can do pretty much anything with all sets combined.

Also, I don't use nor have Wine installed. I've let go of Windows on my own computers many years ago and I don't need a compatibility layer to make anything work.
                  Regarding MSO, I've used Impress for presentations at work. And Writer for complex documents is about 25% faster on formatting for me. Even the couple times I had to look for a job in the last 10 years, I used Writer for my resume and exported it in PDF. It has the advantage that companies cannot modify my resume easily. I don't want recruiters or consulting companies to put their logo on it and do whatever they want with it, so it's actually a win for me. And it has never hindered me in easily finding a job.
                  But I fully understand you might have a few use cases where you have to comply with the de facto generalized way. Makes sense.
                  If it's a strong request, I will check on a work machine (if I've been lent one) or ask a friend who has Windows (if I haven't) to see if the compatibility is fully satisfied.

For Teams, I have to admit my personal Linux use is not as heavy as my professional Windows use. I haven't seen many issues but I haven't stressed it as much either.

When you're 15-25 years old and have many friends that influence you or you want to be a part of a group with, I can understand you want to play the same games, or use compatible apps to not feel pushed apart (rejected). And maybe for work as well if you have specialized apps.
                  But at some point, if you only focus on the Linux world, you'll notice you have most of the answers you need. It took me about 5 years to get rid of the Windows whiffs, but eventually your world becomes what's here, not what is there or what could be here. That's when you feel entirely free.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 04 March 2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

yes the ACO compiler for mesa for me makes it clear that they plan a AMD(CPU+GPU) steambox.
                    the first steambox was a failure but thats only because Intel+Nvidia is a failure.

and i think they do not go for a APU like system like playstation5
                    instead they for sure want chiplet design something like this:

IO chip crossbar with HBM2/3 with minimum 32GB Vram
                    chiplet conected to the IQ crossbar with ZEN4 and RDNA and maybe CDNA for AI acceleration.
                    instead of SSD they maybe go for NVRAM Non-volatile_random-access_memory connected to the IO chip to.

compared to playstation5 such a system would be very high-end
                    I am highly anticipating the day steambox becomes an actual thing. however there are a few issues that need to be resolved first, we absolutely need a TV from the ecosystem. video player, apps, desktop user interface, the whole shebang. so far the only thing that exists for that is plasma big screen TV, and if I'm being honest I don't think that's going anywhere.

for short-term I would be satisfied with a half decent UI, a tweaked controller/tv remote friendly movie player. And Android tv app support (I doubt the last one will ever get to a satisfying degree but whatever.)

steambox would have to do more than just play games, it would have to actually be a complete TV experience, much like PS5 and Xbox are now. Streaming apps like prime video, and youtube. and a decent interface are the biggest hurdles, assuming that they can be done. The steam box would be at least somewhat viable

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Also Windows and MacOS provide libraries with stable APIs and Microsoft/Apple fix security issues in them no problem. In short, I see no reasons why Linux can't achieve the same. All successful OSes to this day have all maintained stable APIs/ABIs. If Linux wants to become a contender for the desktop, it must provide stable APIs/ABIs as well. Period.
                      The reality is if you look closer this is not in fact true for Microsoft or Apple. Turns out stable ABI forces keeping security flawed ABI/API so the result is you cannot fix all security issues with a stable ABI. Windows and MacOS libraries do break their ABI/API. Microsoft has the SXS system to have multi versions of libraries on a system and you have applications bundling with old versions of libraries they expect. Yes inside OS X packaging you find old libraries bundled with applications.

Really Microsoft maintains a stable ABI that really looks like flatpak. Really windows has manifest files that are these days embedded in exes that started with windows 2000 stating what runtime the program wants. So Windows does not provide 1 single stable ABI in fact it provides multi ABI with the applications stating what one they need. BY the way it gets worst those manifest files in windows contain a SHA1 hash of the dependency(DLL) the application wants at times. Get the problem yet a DLL has a security fault to patch the DLL to fix security fault will cause the SHA1 to change the manifest of a exe state the exactly SHA1 of the DLL and that is the insecure DLL the application is provided with. This is how Windows achieves the appearance of ABI stablity simple allow applications with manifest files to opt out of security updates.

Yes people wonder why Windows machines get hacked so much. The reality is that lot of internet enabled applications on windows due to manifest file containing SHA1 mandating old insecure DLLs is basically like going online security naked. Its not just windows being the dominate platform here why Windows is attacked so much its how windows ABI compatibility is done is a big factor.

Yes you hear some people complain at times that the flatpak runtimes from flathub are not 100 percent up to date with will CVE the reality this is because its like windows. Window you have applied a fix to a CVE and only some of the applications on the system are in fact patched all the ones with a manifest saying use insecure version of that library that the CVE is in will be using the insecure library.

birdie like it or not Stable ABI does not equal Secure ABI. Its not really possible to have a secure stable ABI no one has pulled it off. Microsoft provides what appears stable ABI but the ABI is insecure. Flatpak knew what they were doing would be insecure so started off with the objective that all applications would be sandbox to attempt to mitigate the risks from using insecure API and the reason why you are using inscure API is for ABI application compatibility because applications can be depending on the miss behaviour of the ABI that the security fault causes to work.

I could do a detailed write up on OS X how its method is screwed as well. The reality is neither Windows or Mac OS is patching all security faults they have traded security for application compatibility. This trade really means Windows and Mac OS cannot fully patch security faults.

Comment

Working...
                      X