Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton Re-Based To Wine 4.11, Adds D9VK Direct3D 9, Better CPU Utilization & DXVK 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    The point ryao was trying to make is that when Proton was first released, there were a lot of games that didn't work properly, or at all. I don't have any stats (though I sure would like to see them) but from my own observation, Proton has exploded with better compatibility in less than a year. That wasn't thanks to wine, that was thanks to Valve. Albeit, things like winetricks really makes a big difference, but I have noticed how after every major update to Proton, at least one of my non-working games suddenly "just worked". That's progress worth appreciating.
    You are correct about my point. I am amazed at how proton has been pushing the state of the art in Windows game compatibility forward,

As for statistics, I recall that when protondb was relatively new, the numbers on the front page were not even at 50%. Now, they are at 60%:

That was at least a few months into Proton’s life as it had evolved from Steamplay compatibility reports and then went through a few face lifts before it started showing statistics.

It would not surprise me if the numbers reach 80% when Proton is two years old. The collaborations that Valve has for getting Battleye and EAC working could very well yield fruit during that time, as is the driver work that they are doing to improve compatibility, on top of the other miscellaneous work that they have codeweavers doing to implement missing functionality. They will probably surprise us with even more things too. They certainly have surprised me. Things like the esync (and now the confusingly named fsync), faudio and corefonts work certainly surprised me.
    Last edited by ryao; 31 July 2019, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Oh wow, D9VK is amazing. Many of the older games that used to stutter (Dishonored, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Batman: Arkham City - just to name a few) are running incredibly smooth with this newest Proton 4.11 + D9VK force-enabled. My RX480 is aging like fine wine, especially when paired with 144hz FreeSync monitors.

I also compiled the kernel with the fsync patches, AND I'm running the Mesa ACO branch. Yeah, you can say linux gaming right now is f---ing awesome.

EDIT: and it's not just D9VK, newer games and DXVK/Proton 4.11 are running _noticeably_ better. Witcher 3, Prey 2017, F1 2018. I think that 144hz bug fix was a big one for my situation, everything feels really smooth now. Woo!
      Last edited by perpetually high; 31 July 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Yeah it's built on top of a quarter century of other people's work, but, then again, so is damn near everything else on Linux. Take that for what it's worth. That's just how Linux, BSD, and the Greater Open Source World works. Complaining about Steam, Wine, and Proton is like complaining about Red Hat using the Linux kernel and the Gnome desktop...ohh, Red Hat didn't create them and they're making a profit from them so they're bad and stealing
        I'm not complaining. Maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive, because I'm sick of fake news about Proton. Many websites published a questionable information about it, like it was a completely new product ("Steam plans to create its own WINE equivalent") and a real revolution ("[thank to Proton] over 1,000 titles for Linux appeared during the week"). The reality is that it is basically a patched WINE with a few additional components, such as DXVK. Of course, DXVK is a great piece of software and Valve sponsors its development, but these revelations weren't even close to the truth.

I was not so lucky with SteamPlay/Proton, maybe because I'm interested in games outside the mainstream. Anyway, claiming that Proton is just one year old may be a little bit reckless, because it creates a false image about the progress: if just one year of development was enough to support 40% of games, then in next two years it will be almost 100%, or at least 75%! Unfortunately, it is very unlikely to happen.

Comment

What part of steam is "massively-threaded"

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

What part of steam is "massively-threaded"
            I believe that is meant to refer to Proton/DXVK, which ship with Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
              I'm not complaining. Maybe I'm a bit over-sensitive, because I'm sick of fake news about Proton. Many websites published a questionable information about it, like it was a completely new product ("Steam plans to create its own WINE equivalent") and a real revolution ("[thank to Proton] over 1,000 titles for Linux appeared during the week"). The reality is that it is basically a patched WINE with a few additional components, such as DXVK. Of course, DXVK is a great piece of software and Valve sponsors its development, but these revelations weren't even close to the truth.

I was not so lucky with SteamPlay/Proton, maybe because I'm interested in games outside the mainstream. Anyway, claiming that Proton is just one year old may be a little bit reckless, because it creates a false image about the progress: if just one year of development was enough to support 40% of games, then in next two years it will be almost 100%, or at least 75%! Unfortunately, it is very unlikely to happen.
              I get that 100%.

I'm currently having nothing but trouble with the latest Proton 4.11 release. My frickin PS4 controller doesn't work with it...or at least work with it and Hitman 2...I gots everything I needs in place for Fsync, Mesa with ACO, got the TKG and Valve Proton 4.11s, and my god damn controller doesn't work...fuck me running...

Problems or not with the newest release, it's still a lot better than the previous method of Lutris and their compatibility profiles or the method before that of scouring Wine bug reports and applying patches at random or the method before that of the games just not really working outside of edge cases.

Comment

does fsync works on all wine version? or it needs a patch to be applied?

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                  Shattered Union crashes. Reportedly, it will crash on Windows systems with more than 2GB of RAM.
                  The reports that this game crashes when a system has more than 2GB of RAM turned out to be wrong. It crashes when the available texture memory is some large value that occurs on high end discrete graphics cards when system memory is higher than 2GB. Systems that have Intel graphics do not expose so much texture memory, so it works fine on them with any amount of RAM on both Linux and Windows. I don’t know the maximum amount of texture memory that does not trigger the crash bug is, but some digging revealed that a “blurry texture fix” that hardcoded texture memory to 512MB made it work for people on Windows whose systems have more than 2GB of RAM. I need to do some digging to figure out what the actual value is, but it seems likely that in the future, this game could work on Linux via Proton in situations where it crashes on Windows. A workaround just needs to be added to proton’s direct3d 8 implementation to fix it.

That said, I was right to say that this game is also broken on Windows. It appears to be just as broken on Windows as it is on Linux.
                  Last edited by ryao; 31 July 2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
                    Check again in 2 years. The rate of progress being made is much more rapid than what it was before Valve got involved. It is possible that it will reach >=75%.
                    Last edited by ryao; 31 July 2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I just went to ProtonDB for the first time because I keep hearing that Elite Dangerous runs on wine now, but I've been unsuccessful with my custom wine installation. So I thought I'd give it a try with Proton.

But ProtonDB seems to simply be a running train of thought for users. There don't appear to be any concise instructions whatsoever.

Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X