No announcement yet.

Canonical Developer Tries Running GOG Games On 64-Bit-Only Ubuntu 19.10 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux in general seems bound and determined to shoot itself in the foot every few months, and it always amazes me. Now that AMD finally has drivers that semi-work, at least for a few cards, and Valve has put so much effort into making Windows games easier to run with Proton, some developers think now is the time to completely disable any possibility of utilizing win32.

Sadly these are the kinds of things that prevent Linux from becoming a popular desktop OS. It's always two steps forward, and then one and three quarter steps back.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Sadly these are the kinds of things that prevent Linux from becoming a popular desktop OS. It's always two steps forward, and then one and three quarter steps back.
      It's not Linux, it's Ubuntu. Most distros didn't plan such drastic cut off today. Given Ubuntu worked hard to become a very hyped distro, now they'll have to deal with consequences of making such badly thought through move.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Not a valid reason anymore. It was more hyped than actual anyway.
        Until the sum total of all other distributions interest combined receives even half of what Ubuntu alone achieves, you're shouting into a hurricane.

There's a reason why Ubuntu has succeeded. It's called marketing. It's not about "the best". It's about _communicating_. That's what you people have yet to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Until the sum total of all other distributions interest combined receives even half of what Ubuntu alone achieves, you're shouting into a hurricane.
          Ubuntu created the hurricane, users will flee, that's natural. No one forced them, but I guess their lack of resources issue is serious. Other distros will pick up the refugees, whether Ubuntu likes it or not.

Ubuntu became popular more because of the network effects of the hype and a lot of marketing, not because it was much better. That's my opinion. Today this bubble will burst.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            And no, flatpaks/snaps are an asinine solution because you still need 32bit OpenGL/Mesa libraries which must be kept up to date and which you cannot distribute as a part of your asinine monstrosities..
            I believe the Flatpak runtime includes the 32bit GL driver if apps ask for it.

Comment

It's not Linux, it's Ubuntu. Most distros didn't plan such drastic cut off today. Given Ubuntu worked hard to become a very hyped distro, now they'll have to deal with consequences of making such badly thought through move.
              The consequences will be: even more market share for Ubuntu. Because they're not scared to lead, and indeed, as you might not have realised, with this move they're getting more press coverage than any other distribution could possibly hope for.

I guarantee you the vast majority of people are looking at this and going "a) I been 64 bit for at least 5 years if not 10, b) you mean to tell me there's still 32 bit shite around? Get rid of it already. Well done Ubuntu!"

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I believe the Flatpak runtime includes the 32bit GL driver if apps ask for it.
                What about NVIDIA? Or should I get rid of my NVIDIA GPU to play games on Linux? With NVIDIA drivers your NVIDIA GL libraries must match the drivers currently installed which means your flatpak should possibly contain all the released versions of NVIDIA GL libraries which ultimately means you cannot even include them in the first place.

I don't care about Ubuntu one single bit. Fedora has no plans of dropping i686 libraries. And I game in Windows anyways - basically zero issues.

Comment

Ubuntu created the hurricane, users will flee, that's natural. No one forced them, but I guess their lack of resources issue is serious. Other distros will pick up the refugees, whether Ubuntu likes it or not.

Ubuntu became popular more because of the network effects of the hype and a lot of marketing, not because it was much better. That's my opinion. Today this bubble will burst.
                  Ubuntu is not much better. Fedora is a lot better if you're a Unix nut. But Fedora is a pain in the arse if you're anything BUT a Unix nut and wanna do stuff. ditto everything else. I don't wanna waste my time trying to get ROCm or CUDA working on other distros. There's 10:1 help ration on google Ubuntu:Everything_Else. F That. I just need to get from A to B dude. I'm not a greybeard. I'm not a zealot. I'm just a simple guy who loves Linux and wants to get shite done. And that spells UBUNTU.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

The consequences will be: even more market share for Ubuntu. Because they're not scared to lead, and indeed, as you might not have realised, with this move they're getting more press coverage than any other distribution could possibly hope for.

I guarantee you the vast majority of people are looking at this and going "a) I been 64 bit for at least 5 years if not 10, b) you mean to tell me there's still 32 bit shite around? Get rid of it already. Well done Ubuntu!"
                    MMmm....I'd bet the vast majority of people don't know what 64 bit is, don't care to know and just want things that work, that goes for the vast majority on ANY OS.

Comment

Well, the problem is that Ubuntu is the only distribution that's user friendly and works most of the time. I just came off a multi-year experience of trying to use Arch and Manjaro and Antergos, and even though I'm an embedded systems designer that can design and compile myriads of different languages, and design hardware, I recently had to go back to Ubuntu again. The final problem was that something broke in Manjaro and I could no longer stop freezes when copying large files over the network, and wineasio broke for some mysterious reason.

I worked on the freeze problem for over a month, but despite the hundreds of proposed solutions none worked. But when I went back to Ubuntu everything just worked again.

I don't like Canonical anymore than anyone else, but I need a desktop OS that works and supports all available Linux software. I don't mind a little extra maintenance, but when things are continuously breaking the OS is not viable.

Comment

Working...
                      X