Canonical Developer Tries Running GOG Games On 64-Bit-Only Ubuntu 19.10 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

The Steam Flatpak runs 32bit games fine on a 64bit-only Fedora install.

Again, Ubuntu inventing their own problems and asking Steam/Wine/Gog and the community to fix them. Users should just stop using Ubuntu if they want to game, probably should of got tired of a distro that shits on them by now.
    uh... you do realize that 64bit only install fedora has 32 libs installed? even rhel does.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx69 View Post

uh... you do realize that 64bit only install fedora has 32 libs installed? even rhel does.
      You can install 32bit libraries, but it doesn't ship with the needed 32bit libs needed to support Steam out the box, however Flatpak isn't affected.

but uh, you do realize I was referring to my install being 64bit only? guess not

Comment

Seems it works much better than running 128-bit binaries

Comment

Canonical leaders are imbeciles like always, but this time it looks to me that there's more behind that.
          I watched lately quite a few videos on Youtube about the "Linux versus Windows" thing and there were quite a lot of people saying basically the following:
          "I would move to Linux in a heartbeat if I could play games there".
          I think that Microsoft is starting to get it that only thing that keeps a lot of people prisoners to Windows is games.
          And since Microsoft and Canonical are more than best friends for the past years, I think that Canonical took again Microsoft's bribe to come with this crap.
          I never understood why Canonical doesn't just ask us for money for using their distro instead of getting so low doing Microsoft sleazy business.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Canonical leaders are imbeciles like always, but this time it looks to me that there's more behind that.
            I watched lately quite a few videos on Youtube about the "Linux versus Windows" thing and there were quite a lot of people saying basically the following:
            "I would move to Linux in a heartbeat if I could play games there".
            I think that Microsoft is starting to get it that only thing that keeps a lot of people prisoners to Windows is games.
            And since Microsoft and Canonical are more than best friends for the past years, I think that Canonical took again Microsoft's bribe to come with this crap.
            I never understood why Canonical doesn't just ask us for money for using their distro instead of getting so low doing Microsoft sleazy business.
            I think Canonical will lose on it more, than MS gain anything. Those who want to use Linux will just pick better distros that work with games.

Comment

Even if they revert their decision, I am done with their BS.

Comment

How are you feeling after literally shooting yourself in the foot, Canonical? Not good, not good.

No other major distro has dropped i686 libraries yet, idiots.

32bit only software will be extensively used at the very least for the next 30 years.
                32bit only software will be created for at least five more years or maybe more.

And no, emulation does not make it possible to run 32bit applications, specially games, at a decent speed.

And no, flatpaks/snaps are an asinine solution because you still need 32bit OpenGL/Mesa libraries which must be kept up to date and which you cannot distribute as a part of your asinine monstrosities.

You do not have a monopoly on the Linux desktop. There are dozens of distros people will most likely switch to after this f up. You do not dictate what your users can and cannot use.

You know why the whole world keeps running Windows which is full of telemetry and shat? It's because Microsoft perfectly knows what backward compatibility means. You can run most Windows 95 era 32 bit applications just fine in Windows 10 1904. With Linux it's either "progress" and or go f off. And most people stick to Windows because of that.

Bloody idiots.
                Last edited by birdie; 21 June 2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I'm not sure why this is surprising. A lot of older GOG games are 32-bit, both native and Wine. They require 32-bit libraries to work. That was very much expected not to go well.

I seriously recommend Ubuntu users to simply switch to distros that don't plan to drop x86_32 multiach soon. Eventually there will be solutions to run those games on pure 64-bit systems with acceptable performance and using all the modern features (such as recent Mesa, dxvk and what not), but they are not here yet. The above excludes bad ideas like making a container with stale libraries frozen in time.

So it's too early to drop that support and tell users "have some pain in the interim". These solutions should be ready to use before 32-bit multiarch is dropped. Good thing is, most distros are not in such rush as Ubuntu, to drop it today. So just pick one that works.
                  Haha. "So just pick one that works". You've just described the exact reason why everyone chooses Ubuntu.

We make Stack Overflow and 170+ other community-powered Q&A sites.

Comment

Why arch can have a multilib repository and ubuntu cant?

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                      Haha. "So just pick one that works". You've just described the exact reason why everyone chooses Ubuntu.
                      Not a valid reason anymore. It was more hyped than actual anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X