Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Reveals Specifications For Their Index VR Headset, Controllers & Base Stations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    I think this is a much bigger problem that usually stated. What would be good VR content? I can think of rail-shooters, but that's about it.
    You're thinking way too narrowly. What about medical imaging or architectural pre-visualization? Cases where you really want to be able to see something in true-to-life scale and feel a sense of space that only VR can provide.

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    You can't walk or move around in VR, except with teleport or rail-type movement. Unless you have a dedicated room and weird carpet or sliding shoes (the Omni thing).
    Check out Oculus Quest: https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-ques...ne-vr-headset/

Where I think we can agree is that VR will remain somewhat niche, for the foreseeable future. I'm alright with that, as long as the niche keeps growing.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      You're thinking way too narrowly. What about medical imaging or architectural pre-visualization? Cases where you really want to be able to see something in true-to-life scale and feel a sense of space that only VR can provide.

Check out Oculus Quest: https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-ques...ne-vr-headset/

Where I think we can agree is that VR will remain somewhat niche, for the foreseeable future. I'm alright with that, as long as the niche keeps growing.
      For medical imaging, perhaps and the augmented holo-thing from microsoft makes sense in some fields, like assembling transmissions. I've had it on my head. I could see which bolts that go into the brake pads. It was fuzzy and I had to look rotating right. Rotating to the left was buggy, I was told. Still, for Ikea type work, yeah!

I can see VR being used in travelling to museums or historical places, etc. But for gaming? I don't see it. Perhaps I see narrow. I like your idea of architectural pre-visualization. Things static and work related. Interesting games? I don't see it.

There's something there. But remember 3-D TVs? For a while you couldn't buy a TV that wasn't 3D. Today, good luck finding one. No one wants to wear goggles to watch the news.

Comment

AndyChow you're from last century. VR is for the immersion. I've played Alien Isolation and I would never play it on the screen anymore. Same for X-Plane.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Virtual Boy?

I mean, yeah. You should try modern VR. I think the main issue with it is not enough content/use cases to keep using it, after the novelty wears off.
          Nope, it was a Virtuality 1000 series that they had a pair of in Covent Garden.
          Last edited by Slithery; 02 May 2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

IMO the real good thing here is not the headset. Honestly I could care less in fact, there are plenty of good sets around already, wireless or not.

But the CONTROLLERS!!!
            FINALLY, FINALLY someone got it right. It has been ages since I waited for a manufacturer to finally design an "auto-holding" controller. Was thinking about that since I'm 14 years old, feeling the tirenesss of hand muscles from holding and griping hard hours long.

I really hope they didn't mess up the execution. If they didn't, expect it to be such a revolution in quality of life that next generation of controllers for consoles and pc, even "classic" controllers, will try and bring the same idea to life.

I'm impatient to see demonstration of those or get a chance to try it myself. If it's right, and if you can use them as regular controllers, for the first time of my life I may consider spending more than 50$ on a controller.

Comment

Working...
            X