No announcement yet.

Steam's September Metrics See An Increase Following The Rollout Of Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's September Metrics See An Increase Following The Rollout Of Steam Play

Phoronix: Steam's September Metrics See An Increase Following The Rollout Of Steam Play

There was an increase in the Steam Linux gaming marketshare over last month, likely thanks to the late August announcement of Steam Play and the Wine-based Proton...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So 0.59 became 0.71

Or in other words the market grew from 100% to 120.33% in a month. Nice.

Comment

So about the same percentage share as a year ago but Steam has also expanded its base a decent amount in the same years time; that does indeed make it seem like the number of linux steam users is seeing healthy growth. Wonder if we'll ever see the linux share reported at 2% or above because I think at that metric it would really start to turn heads.

Comment

Valve should think of changing "Physical CPUs" to "Cores", adding more speeds to "Network Speed", and under "Other Features" remove "SSE2/3" (seems like Steam requires it so there is no point in counting), and add Ext4 (besides NTFS).

Comment

After DXVK steam_output is implemented and SteamPlay fix the couple of network problems they have, and mark as compatible the games that already work out of the box... I don't think it's unlikely that we reach a 2-5% market share during 2019.

Comment

No chit, of course people will try Linux when "some" of their Windows games start to work on Linux. Imagine if the vast majority of them do? And once developers see that people are on Linux, they may consider making a native client rather than using emulation to run their games. Especially games like OverWatch where their anti-cheat crap will sometimes ban Linux players.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
              After DXVK steam_output is implemented and SteamPlay fix the couple of network problems they have, and mark as compatible the games that already work out of the box... I don't think it's unlikely that we reach a 2-5% market share during 2019.
              And add wine-mono out of the box.

Comment

This <1% is minuscule amount, and does not seem worth reporting unless its over 1-2%. My 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                  It will take a bit longer for that to happen I think because most Linux users are on low gpu performance laptops. Linux can reach that percentage when Ryzen becomes more mainstream in laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

It will take a bit longer for that to happen I think because most Linux users are on low gpu performance laptops. Linux can reach that percentage when Ryzen becomes more mainstream in laptops.
                    Which can be boosted by eGPU, I love my laptop + EXP GDC + RX 560 setup. Mobile CPUs are quite good, mobile GPUs not so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X