Valve Reaffirms Commitment To Linux, SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    That's not necessarily true, cf Torchlight or Armello.
    And it's not very interesting either
    buy torchlight 2 on steam, use gog connect to get it on gog, problem solved
    its drm-free version was released specially for hib, so it is unusual case
    in any case it is easy to check and get refund
    Last edited by pal666; 04 April 2018, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
      Well even after 1 year 80% of the people who want to buy it will have already bought it. After that 1 year you just continue selling the games media and texture files. A game with only the engine is unplayable.
      but id didn't open sources after 1 year. they did open after 5, so 100% of their customers bought closed version.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        i have games from GoG and i have PS4 (playing mostly exclusives there)
        playing exclusives is behaving like a slave

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          playing exclusives is behaving like a slave
          MS, Sony, Nintendo... invest into exclusives all the time, as these pushes up a platform to be more used

If Valve did let say HL3 for SteamOS-only and give it for free so comes together with Steam Machines they would sold a lot more of these
          Last edited by dungeon; 04 April 2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

1- How about pro-players? Farmers? etc. Many people do depend on their game working perfectly. I wonder if the pro SC/BW players kept old Windows around to just play that game as it was not running greatly in W10 until more recent patches.
            Taking your first example, SC/BW was more or less working up through Win 10, where a little bit of extra configuring was necessary to make it work properly (an extra registry flag). It also didn't play nice with 4k or high DPI displays, but those are more limitations of the application and not the OS, and both could be worked around (via registry flag and not using super-high resolutions).

Say what you will, pretty much every 32-bit application still runs on Win 10 x64.

Comment

In pipeline...yes as dungeon said plus a new VR headset. HTC is to expensive compared to Odyssey etc.

Comment

Think Valve has taken right path here. Reminds me the store of one finnish mobile phone company which dedicated every development they did at the beginning being good for the people not for the money. This lead them become the biggest company of their market for 14 years. And yes im talking about Nokia.

What lead to destruction of them was alienation from that main principle. And in the end one company and guy *cough* Steve Jobs *cough* casted them to demise by stoling idea from another finnish developer who actually designed everything that was presented in apples first iphone. Thou he didnt ever get credit from it.

Thou Apple is at the moment falling/fallen for that same abyss that took Nokia down when they were market leader.

The main point here is that you need to have heart for people and things that you do no matter of it doesnt always pay so well (specially/usually at the beginning). But in the end if you do things right you might end up being the greatest no matter others say.

Companies like Apple/Microsoft etc... Gaming industry in general cant be based on short profit with the cost of quality and rights. Which in long term is not good for gamers either.

You can see what it has done to many good franchices and games. EA/Ubisoft/Activision etc.... And those companies are also reason that 4 core Wintel/DX became the most used system in gaming. Its not that it would be the best for consumers nor it would have the best performance. It became that cause it was forced thanks to those few big companies that think only in dollars.

Not saying that Valve should not consider their income either. In the end i think valve will and should get paid for their contributions and effort for opensource community and for the gaming in general. Big time. I also accept the DRM valve has cause their goal is also try to push alternative to that holy trinity controlled by stockmarket driven money makers.

One could ofc say that valve gets allready paid cause they cut 30% fee from every sale on steam market which might be true. And if that is the case it tells me just that valve is doing all this more from the heart. Not heart for money but the heart for gaming.

The Finnish document im referring case anyone interrested. You probpably need VPI/proxy on finnish server to watch it cause its in YLE. But its free to watch in general:

Tarina Nokian ja koko suomalaisen matkapuhelinalan noususta ja tuhosta ruohonjuuritasolta, niiden ihmisten kokemana, jotka ihmeen tekivät ja tuhon kohtasivat. O: Arto Koskinen. T: Illume Oy
                Last edited by Dehir; 04 April 2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post

You can see what it has done to many good franchices and games. EA/Ubisoft/Activision etc.... And those companies are also reason that 4 core Wintel/DX became the most used system in gaming. Its not that it would be the best for consumers nor it would have the best performance. It became that cause it was forced thanks to those few big companies that think only in dollars.

https://areena.yle.fi/1-3995064
                  Ubisoft made a Linux game called Grow Home in 2015 it uses Unitiy3d and is drm free. 2014 article "Ubisoft Is "Formulating A Linux Game Plan"https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTYzOTI I know it's not Farcry 5 at least it shows they tried.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    valve already said it wouldn't because who is going to support wine game?
                    The developer would have to want to do it, nothing would happen without the developer wanting to support Steam OS/Linux. There are some bad ports of games using Wine, and the situation could be made better. Some older games are definitely worth saving this way, and it is a stop gap for future games, but still worth considering. I can see why Valve wouldn't want to do now, but on a console that they would control, it would be worthwhile enough.

Also, I don't think WSL or Wine are going anywhere. Call it balance of power, or something else. If a sane ruling would come out of Evil v. Google.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

MS, Sony, Nintendo... invest into exclusives all the time, as these pushes up a platform to be more used

If Valve did let say HL3 for SteamOS-only and give it for free so comes together with Steam Machines they would sold a lot more of these
                      MS and Sony also pay off devs to make them exclusive, either permenantly or for a time.

We are fortunate that this disease has not creeped into the PC world. Even though steam is the market leader Valve does not offer exclusivity deals to other devs. So devs are free to sell their game simultaneously on steam, gog, origin etc.

Let's keep it this way. I always see people argue that valve should use the console tactic of artificial exclusivity.

Valve is the market leader on pc and has loads of cash, so People should be careful what they wish for. Don't ask them to take us down that road of paying off devs and back room deals. It will become the norm on pc likely it is on console. Right now we value PC as an open platform.
                      Last edited by humbug; 04 April 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X