DXVK 0.40 Brings Initial Direct3D 11.1 Bits, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Those doing clean installs of fedora now don't get the libtxc_dxtn library. So if you have to reinstall your system will not have it either. Yes you are right when the system does upgrade clean up its also going to by-by. So you are tick down to when it will bite you.

There are other faults in staging like this. This one is already harming some users.

This is the trap people go around say hey this works a new user who got a clean install of the distribution installs a package like that it does not work they come to the wine channel on freenode asking why. We have be the ones to point out the library is no more.
    Technically would probably be enough to mark in metadata that Mesa obsoletes libtxc_dxtn and the latter would be removed upon upgrade but I'm not sure this will be done because latter wasn't shipped by Fedora in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      I rechecked my notes

Its not part of ubuntu 18.04 . With fedora 27 when I check notes it gone from repositories that people are allowed use that delete obsolete packages this is one of the packages that gets deleted so they don't have access to it. If you have to reinstall from one of those mirrors you will be up the creek.

Wine mainline has the same functionally but its calling out to opengl to-do it but this means its not dependant on the existence of libtxc_dxfn. Only reason to-do it the way it was for a long time was slightly higher performance less than in fact embedded the code if software mode was being used.

This is basically a library that should start disappearing it has not been properly maintained since 2015.
      Why bother implementing in Wine? Open drivers are going to pick up support now that patent expired anyway

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
        While I'm watching this with interest, I have mixed feeling if this is a good or a bad thing.

It might hurt linux gaming long therm, as porting companies will be impacted, hence less native linux ports.
        On the other hand porting companies could use dxvk. I think there's already a fork somewhere that builds it natively for linux.
        Feral will probably use their own solution for the foreseeable future, but maybe others would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Why bother implementing in Wine? Open drivers are going to pick up support now that patent expired anyway
          There was a slight performance boost calling the libtxc_dxtn directly instead of going down through opengl to access it when software emulation is being used. So the fact the patent is expired it could be a slight performance boost for some programs to implement straight inside wined3d.

As I said either drop that patch set complete and just live with dxtn done in opengl or since patent is expired implement it correctly in wined3d. Both are valid answers. First answer has the lightest workload.

Comment

Working...
          X