Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 0.40 Brings Initial Direct3D 11.1 Bits, Other Improvements

Phoronix: DXVK 0.40 Brings Initial Direct3D 11.1 Bits, Other Improvements

The DXVK project that is implementing Direct3D 11 atop of Vulkan for the benefit of Wine gamers is out this weekend with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please go read the specifications again. its wine 3.4 or newer. This does not mean Staging. Why because some applications due to defects in staging don't run on staging. Also there is a nasty issue where due to issue in wined3d and DXTN patch in staging and the deprecation of need for libdxtn that on some systems staging will not run at all.

As more staging patches merge mainline more and more staging will come stack of unique fails.

Comment

Is there any plan for Khronos to add something to Vulkan to allow implementing stream output? That's a major DX feature that's hard to implement with current Vulkan functionality.

And indeed, dxvk targets upstream Wine, but it should also work with staging.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        Please go read the specifications again. its wine 3.4 or newer. This does not mean Staging. Why because some applications due to defects in staging don't run on staging. Also there is a nasty issue where due to issue in wined3d and DXTN patch in staging and the deprecation of need for libdxtn that on some systems staging will not run at all.

As more staging patches merge mainline more and more staging will come stack of unique fails.
        I would imagine Staging is required at the moment due to needing Vulkan support, which many people claim is a hack job on Staging, but it does work. Also I wonder if the CrossOver guys are allowed to include DXVK? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

I would imagine Staging is required at the moment due to needing Vulkan support
          Staging is not required. Vulkan support is already added in upstream Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            I would imagine Staging is required at the moment due to needing Vulkan support, which many people claim is a hack job on Staging, but it does work. Also I wonder if the CrossOver guys are allowed to include DXVK? Just curious.
            The Vulkan support in old staging is not in new staging because it broken. The Vulkan support in staging current is the same one that merged with mainline. This is the big thing as patches go though proper peer review some the patches wine-staging will have to be fully rewritten because they are broken.

If you go through wine history there are two DXTN patches. One before S3TC patent expired could not legally be merged. One that added a direct dependency on a mesa internal part that was marked for deprecation. The one in staging is the one that is using a Mesa deprecated internal part. It now need to be replaced by a new version of the really old one that could not be used while S3TC patent stood. So the DXTN patch in staging is without question now a invalid hack.

There are a lot of patches in staging that have been of quality to merge mainline just they have never been put in the wine-devel mainline list to have peer-review and be merged. The current staging maintainer is doing this. There are also a set of patches in staging that are 100 percent hack jobs yes they made things work in the short term but in the long term they end up being the direct cause of failures.

The big problem with Hack Jobs is that they make particular programs/systems work but other programs/systems fail. When hack job fails you need people with enough time 1) to locate the patch that is the Hack 2) remove and loss that feature or have enough resources to code the patch. Yes why there had to be new maintainers for staging was part the person life and part that a stack of performance boosting hacks that people using staging were use to no longer worked.

Wine mainline attempt to shorten the process down by say this patch is a hack it rejects move on to implementing it correctly. What happened in staging is this hack job patches enter years ago so the person with the knowledge why hack has to do X is long gone. Wine mainline learnt this lesson by 2004. Every long term fork of wine sooner or latter has to be caught out by the same issue where low quality patches in time ruin your day.

The start of the DX12 bring up in mainline is under way. Vulkan support is not finished yet. There is still on ongoing between -khronos and wine mainline project developers over license and implementation details around Vulkan. So before DXVK mainline can be considered the Vulkan core work in mainline has to be sorted out.

Also support just one version of DX like just DX11 in DXVK and not work with DX12,DX10,DX9 as well will not be acceptable to merge. So if DXVK ends up merged will depend on the DXVK project as well as what the Vulkan core work is able to achieve. Its not like DXVK will have to implement more than DX11 just when it install it has to work with DX10, DX9 and Dx12 because applications could be using a mix of those DX versions at the same time. As the old saying goes it take two to tango.

Comment

jerbear64-wine-staging-nine-3.4 Copr here and works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                jerbear64-wine-staging-nine-3.4 Copr here and works fine.
                Do a clean install and try again with something other than a dx9 game or with nine disabled. That one of the ones that turn in wine support channel as broken because the library is removed from the install process in Fedora.

This is the problem with hacks. You have people saying it works for them when it broken.

The problem is the file above. The hard coded libtxc_dxtn.so/libtxc_dxtn_s2tc.so.0 opens on fly.

That library is now 100 percent deprecated and should be removed on security grounds due to no longer being maintained. The feature has been merged in to mainline mesa it no longer requires that library.

So its a ticking time bomb that will just get worse until the patch that makes that file is remove/replaced. Due to the fact the s3tc patent license is now expired the software fall back does not have to use a library instead what was done to mesa could be done inside wined3d of making the code to process dxtn/s3tc part of the wined3d..
                Last edited by oiaohm; 25 March 2018, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Do a clean install and try again with something other than a dx9 game or with nine disabled. That one of the ones that turn in wine support channel as broken because the library is removed from the install process in Fedora.

This is the problem with hacks. You have people saying it works for them when it broken.

The problem is the file above. The hard coded libtxc_dxtn.so/libtxc_dxtn_s2tc.so.0 opens on fly.

That library is now 100 percent deprecated and should be removed on security grounds due to no longer being maintained. The feature has been merged in to mainline mesa it no longer requires that library.

So its a ticking time bomb that will just get worse until the patch that makes that file is remove/replaced. Due to the fact the s3tc patent license is now expired the software fall back does not have to use a library instead what was done to mesa could be done inside wined3d of making the code to process dxtn/s3tc part of the wined3d..
                  I don't understand what you are saying... My D3D11-only games work fine with jerbear64-wine-staging-nine-3.4 Copr and DXVK-0.40 plus the two setup scripts for Vulkan and DXVK. I don't understand why i should try with Nine disabled (not that it changes anything)... I also don't understand the S2TC problem, if the library is not needed any more then the next Fedora version upgrade will ask me for removal.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I don't understand what you are saying... My D3D11-only games work fine with jerbear64-wine-staging-nine-3.4 Copr and DXVK-0.40 plus the two setup scripts for Vulkan and DXVK. I don't understand why i should try with Nine disabled (not that it changes anything)... I also don't understand the S2TC problem, if the library is not needed any more then the next Fedora version upgrade will ask me for removal.
                    Those doing clean installs of fedora now don't get the libtxc_dxtn library. So if you have to reinstall your system will not have it either. Yes you are right when the system does upgrade clean up its also going to by-by. So you are tick down to when it will bite you.

There are other faults in staging like this. This one is already harming some users.

This is the trap people go around say hey this works a new user who got a clean install of the distribution installs a package like that it does not work they come to the wine channel on freenode asking why. We have be the ones to point out the library is no more.

Comment

Working...
                    X