Facebook Looking To Add Zstd Support To The Linux Kernel, Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    It has really great compression ratios, especially for the speed. Still, I prefer lz4 for the decompression speeds, roughly 3x faster than zstd.
    Has lz4 finally been added to btrfs?

Comment

Originally posted by gyscos View Post
      casync switched recently to zstd (from xz) for its chunks.
      Great, now Devuonites can hate it twice as much

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
        Has lz4 finally been added to btrfs?
        Nope. Still waiting.

Comment

I'm pretty sure btrfs has bigger issues now that one of their biggest supporters has gone with XFS

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

From diagonal reading, the licence allows unlimited internal use, and commercial use, as long as it's not used against them. In lawyer retainer talk, it's clearly a "don't use this to hack us". Of course, if you pay your lawyers by the hour, it's not clear and they need to do some research.

It's a very nice licence, actually. I'm speaking relative. RMS would not approve.
            Also not GPLv2-compatible

Comment

wait, does that mean facebook isn't going to start contributing to zfs with its wonderful lz4 compression?

Comment

btrfs has bigger issues now that one of their biggest supporters has gone with XFS
                one of their biggest supporters is facebook itself, redhat was gone with xfs many years ago

Comment

I prefer lz4 for the decompression speeds, roughly 3x faster than zstd.
                  you should prefer no compression at all then, it is infinitely faster than lz4. smart people though care about total time of read + decompress and, depending on drive and cpu, lzma could be fastest

Comment

Maybe zstd can replace xcf and work for a faster gimp!

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Which author? which user? which “they”, which “you”?
                      • Do you mean facebook kernel developers (author, they) does not give a crap about desktop users (you) ?
                        Well, this btrfs compression can benefit linux desktop users too.
                      • Do you mean facebook (author, they) does not give a crap about users (you) of their own web platform?
                        Well, sure, they take care a lot of their users, but not for the benefit of their users.
                      • Do you mean facebook kernel developers (they) does not give a crap to the news writer (author, you, i.e. Michael)?
                        Well, sure.

I still really don't know what you tried to say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                      that’s fine.
                      i was just expressing that this is not a feature for desktop users, in my opinion, there are disk formats that outperform ext4, but linux users still fall back to ext, because of convenience.
                      so if I write that this is nothing to get excited about, for desktop users, then okay. I just prefaced my comment with "not directed at the author" oops, should've added "of the article" so that you genius' could understand it, i guess i overestimated your discernment.

hit like on that, the nine losers of you
                      Last edited by AdamOne; 05 August 2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X