Oracle Is Working On Interrupt-Aware Scheduler For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

MySQL would disagree. Off the top of my head, so would OpenOffice and Jenkins.
    Ok, I've just read the events caused forks, because I never knew details beyond just "something happened". I don't know what to think about it — except of Oracle firing up devs of OpenOffice, those events are so subtle, especially given that the projects are still open.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
      especially given that the projects are still open.
      ... but they did close Solaris.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        Ok, I've just read the events caused forks, because I never knew details beyond just "something happened". I don't know what to think about it — except of Oracle firing up devs of OpenOffice, those events are so subtle, especially given that the projects are still open.
        Splitting the community is the worst thing you can do to an open source project. Especially since at least part of the contributors are volunteering their time.
        And look at MySQL: it has seen 5 major releases in the 15 years before Oracle got it and only 7 minor releases in the 10 years since.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

... but they did close Solaris.
          I'm not sure they literally closed it either, they just turned its future roadmaps to not have future releases

Comment

people still use mysql?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
              people still use mysql?
              Many corporate entities do

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                people still use mysql?
                Google does. But many have switched to MariaDB.

But this is irrelevant. The danger to Oracle was MySQL becoming an established competitor and they fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  *tongue in cheek* Wait - Hold up - Wait a minute - hang on here - Oracle doing something good!? :P
                  Oracle is one of the largest contributors to the Linux kernel and has been for a long time. Given that's the OS their database product runs on, they have a vested interest in the performance of the OS.

Comment

Is this perhaps a reinvention of IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING? See also https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/5/12/556.

Comment

Originally posted by kodi View Post
                      Is this perhaps a reinvention of IRQ_TIME_ACCOUNTING? See also https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/5/12/556.
                      Ha, good find.

Comment

Working...
                      X