Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    what the fuck STATX stands for!?

so why he doesn't write in a way all users can understand the argument preferring to use an encrypted dialogue!?
    I don't think you're one to criticize such issues in the article, when your broken English is so hard to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      what the fuck STATX stands for!?
      www.google.com is your friend

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
        Still don’t understand the significance of creation date/time...
        Yes. Also, as they wrote: There is no meaningful creation time, because an often-used way of modifying a file is to create a new one and then rename it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Yes. Also, as they wrote: There is no meaningful creation time, because an often-used way of modifying a file is to create a new one and then rename it.
          A few co-workers and I were trying to diagnose the root cause of a customer's production server downtime yesterday... We tracked it down to a report that went haywire. That report had spooled out a multi-GB temp file, and if we knew the file creation time, we would have been able to correlate the exact report to the temp file and the user who ran it much more easily. We were able to track it down eventually, but only because we also had access to the db schema.

File creation time would have specifically helped in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

A few co-workers and I were trying to diagnose the root cause of a customer's production server downtime yesterday... We tracked it down to a report that went haywire. That report had spooled out a multi-GB temp file, and if we knew the file creation time, we would have been able to correlate the exact report to the temp file and the user who ran it much more easily.
            Isn’t that what logging is for?

Comment

Isn’t that what logging is for?
              Logging is great, but when you're trying to diagnose a problem in the past and it happened to be disabled, you're kind of out of luck. And the filesystem should already be tracking basic stats like creation time for you anyway.

As far as saying that creation time isn't meaningful because people copy files and which do you use, the original or a new time - i say who cares. It doesn't matter, just pick one. Either way you get useful information, more than you have without the time.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 22 March 2017, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Logging is great, but when you're trying to diagnose a problem in the past and it happened to be disabled, you're kind of out of luck.
                So, don’t disable it. Have you looked at ~/.xsessionerrors on Linux lately?

Comment

So, don’t disable it.
                  I'll make sure to borrow your time machine the next time somebody fucks up the servers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I'll make sure to borrow your time machine the next time somebody fucks up the servers.
                    No need, just learn the lesson now for next time. Simples!

Comment

No need, just learn the lesson now for next time. Simples!
                      It would be great if everyone was as smart as you and me. Unfortunately, I have to work with other people.

See, this is why windows marketshare is what it is and linux marketshare is what it is. The answer to a problem like this can't just be "be smarter next time you idiot, and do the right thing." It needs to consider actual solutions to human problems, and how the OS can make people's lives simpler. To be fair, MS has plenty of those problems too, but at least they are rightly made fun of when they close an issue with "not a bug, it's a feature" as the response.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 27 March 2017, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X