Statx - Enhanced File Information - System Call Sent In For Linux 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statx - Enhanced File Information - System Call Sent In For Linux 4.11

Phoronix: Statx - Enhanced File Information - System Call Sent In For Linux 4.11

Al Viro has called for the new statx system call to be added to the Linux 4.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still absolutely baffled by the fact that ext4 doesn't track file creation dates. Jesus, that's one of the most important things to track for a file!

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
      I'm still absolutely baffled by the fact that ext4 doesn't track file creation dates. Jesus, that's one of the most important things to track for a file!
      It isn't part of POSIX. Unix systems haven't traditionally tracked this.

Comment

creation dates [are] one of the most important things to track for a file!
        What exactly would “creation date” mean, though? If I do

cp -p file1 file2

should file2 be given the same creation date as file1? Or should it be given a creation date of now?

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

What exactly would “creation date” mean, though? If I do

cp -p file1 file2

should file2 be given the same creation date as file1? Or should it be given a creation date of now?
          Remember that you are asking this question of an OS that supports file "last accessed" time (you know, that thing that when you check it tells you it was last accessed RIGHT NOW as you checked the last access time)... it's not like anyone actually thinks about these things before implementing them, heh.
          Last edited by Holograph; 03 March 2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Will statx allow Windows NTFS style ACL support in Linux without having to install third-party software?
            Will statx make it possible to convert partitions between NTFS and Linux file systems such as ext4 without losing (ACL) information?

How will this work influence and interact with Richacls?
            https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Richacls-Maybe-4.4
            http://www.bestbits.at/richacl/
            Last edited by plonoma; 04 March 2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I always wondered about that issue, but never looked into it so I wasn't sure, but after a quick search I think it does: http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2014/06/fil...e-in-ext4.html
              It's just that until kernel 4.11 is isn't exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
                Remember that you are asking this question of an OS that supports file "last accessed" time (you know, that thing that when you check it tells you it was last accessed RIGHT NOW as you checked the last access time)... it's not like anyone actually thinks about these things before implementing them, heh.
                I've used the noatime mount option for as long as I can remember, so I don't know about its current behavior. But the way I'd expect it to work is to report the last time a file's data was accessed - not its metadata (which would include atime). If that's not how it works, then there must've been a bug somewhere along they way that just kept getting carried forward.

Comment

This was a huge surprize for me to find out that the great Linux and EXT4 can't show a simple date like this one.
                  Every time that I look a a file properties for the date, I look at the creation date, this is the only date I want to know.
                  I don't even remember if I ever needed to look at the other date types.
                  Windows developers understood so well, that this is the date that almost all the people want to see, that they made a special field just for it.
                  Look at this example:
                  http://aaron-kelley.net/wp-content/u...ng-missing.png
                  No wonder that Windows has more than 95% user share and Linux just 1% when Linux developers think that they should display every other date type, except the most important one. Things like this make Linux desktop look like a joke.
                  I hope that KDE Plasma (the most sane desktop) will add support as soon as possible for this, so I don't have to spend so much time in Windows.
                  Last edited by Danny3; 08 September 2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X