No announcement yet.

Wine 1.9.8 Lands More D3D Command Stream Prep Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real test will be Grand Theft Auto 5. That game supports DirectX 10. Maybe it's worth trying that game in Wine again to see if it runs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I haven't used Wine in years.

What do you guys use Wine for?
      I used to use it with Half-Life, Portal, mspaint and WinMerge.
      I wish it worked with Visual Studio.

How good is it these days?
      Some years ago, it had lots of problems.
      My main games in Wine are osu!, Guild Wars 2, and Path of Exile. GW2's performance could be better, but it's playable. The other two games perform nicely. Basically, everything on my list here (with the exception of Overwatch for now) work.
      Various scripts and setup information I use on my machines. I welcome any changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

My main games in Wine are osu!, Guild Wars 2, and Path of Exile. GW2's performance could be better, but it's playable. The other two games perform nicely. Basically, everything on my list here (with the exception of Overwatch for now) work.
        I got so sick of beating MS away with a stick to prevent upgrading my Win 7 gaming box to Win 10 that I finally moved my gaming box to Linux. Almost everything I really care about playing is native or runs decently enough in WINE (HotS doesn't run as well as on Windows, but it's playable and I can make do until I upgrade to Polaris). Then I see the announcement for Overwatch open beta which happens to coincide with my LAN party weekend and I find out that it's DX11 only... No Overwatch for me

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post

I got so sick of beating MS away with a stick to prevent upgrading my Win 7 gaming box to Win 10 that I finally moved my gaming box to Linux. Almost everything I really care about playing is native or runs decently enough in WINE (HotS doesn't run as well as on Windows, but it's playable and I can make do until I upgrade to Polaris). Then I see the announcement for Overwatch open beta which happens to coincide with my LAN party weekend and I find out that it's DX11 only... No Overwatch for me
          Ah, that would be why it doesn't work :/ I was hoping it was just some minor Wine issue that could be fixed, but I didn't think to see what renderer it used.

The more disappointing possibility would be if Overwatch ran on OS X too, but Blizzard didn't bother porting the OGL renderer to Windows (pretty sure this is the case so far for all of their modern games aside from WoW).

Edit: Apparently there isn't even OS X support, that's a little unexpected.
          Last edited by Guest; 15 April 2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Some developers are using Wine as their Linux wrapper now on steam it seems. I prefer Native ports myself but really if they can get the game running good either way under Linux that is fine as it will encourage more gamers to use Linux and maybe one day we will see more Native support in the future. ATM allot of developers are still trashing Linux, kinda sad.

Comment

In this wine version appers more work in CSMT but still dont appears complete

In other things lastest ePSXe 2.02 appears today works good on wine

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                In this wine version appers more work in CSMT but still dont appears complete

In other things lastest ePSXe 2.02 appears today works good on wine

Oh, so it was you who also did the Battlefield - Bad Company 2 DX10 test; thanks a lot for testing all these games on Wine!

Actually, come to think of it, you are the very first person I'm aware of that was capable of showing a true DX10 game running under Wine - I'd call that 'World Premiere'!

And it would be even greater if you could see just how many DX10 games already are able of at least starting under the latest Wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Oh, so it was you who also did the Battlefield - Bad Company 2 DX10 test; thanks a lot for testing all these games on Wine!

Actually, come to think of it, you are the very first person I'm aware of that was capable of showing a true DX10 game running under Wine - I'd call that 'World Premiere'!

And it would be even greater if you could see just how many DX10 games already are able of at least starting under the latest Wine...
                  Thanks

However in this game occur something strange

In winecfg is needed put in windows to imitate: windows 7 and disable d3d10_1 and d3d11 previously configurated as disable for bfbc2game.exe

And on wine register needs have on direct3d section this entries:

MaxShaderModelGS set on 4

MaxShaderModelPS set on 4

MaxShaderModelVS set on 4

However this game have DX10 direct mode dont needs DX11 for enable DX10 as occur in various recent titles

And this game supports DX9, DX10 and DX11, without forget battlefield bad company 2 using configurator app allows select easily DX mode

Another curious information have relation with steam overlay, in devil may cry 4 on DX10 mode steam overlay dont work (at least in test)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 16 April 2016, 10:58 PM.

Comment

In this test with ori and the blind forest can observate before situation described (steam overlay dont work when game use DX upper than 9)

Ori and the Blind Forest DX9

Ori and the Blind Forest DX11

For use DX11 mode this needed some steps

Winecfg needs put in windows to imitate: windows 7 and in wine register needs have on direct3d wine section this entries:

MaxShaderModelGS set on 5

MaxShaderModelPS set on 5

MaxShaderModelVS set on 5

Respect game runs considerably slow on DX11 mode (unplayable in this point) without forget issues in some objects like plants and some enemies

Other issue stay on excesive cpu use compared with DX9 mode

Last edited by pinguinpc; 16 April 2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      I haven't used Wine in years.

How good is it these days?
                      Some years ago, it had lots of problems.
                      I used it yesterday to play LEGO Batman with my daughter. After remembering to install DirectX 9 with winetricks first, it was pretty much flawless.

Comment

Working...
                      X