X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avogadro View Post
    Am I ballpark here?
    Not even close.
    Many assertions throughout your post are wrong.

I could spend my time giving you a blow-for-blow recap on why the update is delayed and then post links to git commits from Manjaro's numerous active developers and then point out many fine examples of the competence of it's packagers... but for reasons largely expressed in the post above this one, it would be a waste of my time, and i have better things to do.

Comment

Manjaro 0.8.11

For those interested, here's some details on our 0.8.11 release:

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        See, the funny part about all this is that this one line, out of your entire post, sticks out the most. You are what is known as an "Arch Elitist", aka an asshole, who simply doesn't like that anybody would DARE create a distro based on Arch! Oh the humanity! How could they try and change something so perfect??

If you weren't so blinded by your superiority complex, you'd see that pretty much every word that you have said in this thread has been countered pretty fucking effectively. At this point you're just spouting insults to make us mad because there's nothing else you can do. You're powerless to stop Manjaro from becoming popular, but god be damned if you won't try by spreading lies and being generally angry that it exists.

Notice how literally nobody but elitist Arch users have a problem with Manjaro. Not the people who use it, not Gentoo users, not Ubuntu users... hell, not even the sane Arch users. Just people like you. If you were smart, you'd take a moment to reflect on that...
        I don't dislike Manjaro for being a spinoff of Arch. I dislike it for it's errors. I've used Chakra in the past, which I actually liked, and it's an Arch spinoff.

But they didn't just throw a bunch of crap onto the Arch base, seperate the repositories and then maintain them poorly, and then call anyone who dare to point that out to them intellectual elitists. They actually did something worthy of the divergence.

Manjaro would be much better off just contributing to Arch, because what their doing now is quite frankly a waste of resources. They literally cloned archiso and renamed it, threw a bunch of crap on an Arch base, split the repositories and just literally rsync them off the Arch repositories, and maintain a couple out of date AUR packages, which they can't even seem to manage anymore. I would criticize anything that did this, even if the "glorious" Arch did.

Once they fix their crap, you'd never hear me complain again. I don't criticize for spinoffs, I criticize for their obvious mistakes at just putting together some crap so they can be somebodies in the linux world. If they actually do something to make themselves different, then maybe I'll accept them as being a distro. But right now I just see them as some dudes making crappy spinoffs and screaming about how hard it is.

Maybe you guys should find a new defense than, "BACK OFF YOU ARCH ELITIST, YOU'RE JUST ARROGANT AND DON'T LIKE SPINOFFS, AND DON'T HAVE AS GOOD OF AN OPINION AS I DO".

And no, I still haven't heard a valid response as to why there were no updates in over a month. So no, nothing has been countered effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
          Not even close.
          Many assertions throughout your post are wrong.

I could spend my time giving you a blow-for-blow recap on why the update is delayed and then post links to git commits from Manjaro's numerous active developers and then point out many fine examples of the competence of it's packagers... but for reasons largely expressed in the post above this one, it would be a waste of my time, and i have better things to do.
          Why were there no updates in over a month Korrode? Can you answer that question?

That one, simple, question, is all that I want to know. Because in all of this rambling, you still haven't produced an actual answer. And if Michael is so ignorant and naive as you would lead us to believe, then actually tell us why, and not just make these claims.

Comment

Users are entitled to get updates, especially security updates, otherwise there's a good chance their going to leave. I would. It doesn't matter if no one got hacked this time, what about the next time the developers are twittling their thumbs and thanks to this incident someone decides to take advantage of the thousands of vulnerable users.

There's already been a lot of concerns and controversy over how Manjaro so called "Maintains" their packages. This just solidifies for me that they don't have the savyness or apparent manpower anymore since their mass exodus to keep maintaining it. They've already had to drop the second most popular official release.

But thanks for opening up here with such strong sarcasm, it really displays your elegance.
            I think a couple of guys from this "exodus" was forum trolls/"drama queens" at the Arch forum before they moved on to Manjaro. So they did exactly the same thing again in another community... Hardly astonishing. And I'm sure everyone is happy they are gone.
            Last edited by Akka; 01 December 2014, 05:28 AM.

Comment

How many users switched?

I have used almost every distro, lately Antergos and Kaos, but since Manjaro was able to be installed at BIOS/GPT i am using it at my entire satisfaction. more than Antergos or Kaos that are great distros too. I had to switch to testing to be able to use my new (then) Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (Maxwell) and then I went back to stable.

No need to reinstall, no problems fixing packages (a lot of problems with dpkg in Ubuntu or debian) and no problem with updates breaks.

If you want a more bleeding edge experience you can use testing repositories.

As we can read, Manjaro is a pain in the ass for some Arch users, as was Ubuntu for Debian, but even i do know how to deal with problems I do not want them, and Manjaro is really a great distro, and it can change in the future, but just now is the distro i would recommend any newbe and never Arch or Antergos that are for more "Hardcore Linux users" if KISS is the way to go, I think Manjaro is more KISS, and it can be better, of course, as any other one.

Comment

Why were there no updates in over a month Korrode?

You could use your brain, you know? 2 weeks is approximate. Functionality and stability override other factors. This was the official release stable update. Bugs were found with upstream software for default configs, and we also added our own little background tweaks to rc images. Those get added to unstable and testing simultaneously, so we need to make sure it actually works as intended.

Comment

I don't dislike Manjaro for being a spinoff of Arch. I dislike it for it's errors. I've used Chakra in the past, which I actually liked, and it's an Arch spinoff.

But they didn't just throw a bunch of crap onto the Arch base, seperate the repositories and then maintain them poorly, and then call anyone who dare to point that out to them intellectual elitists. They actually did something worthy of the divergence.

Manjaro would be much better off just contributing to Arch, because what their doing now is quite frankly a waste of resources. They literally cloned archiso and renamed it, threw a bunch of crap on an Arch base, split the repositories and just literally rsync them off the Arch repositories, and maintain a couple out of date AUR packages, which they can't even seem to manage anymore. I would criticize anything that did this, even if the "glorious" Arch did.

Once they fix their crap, you'd never hear me complain again. I don't criticize for spinoffs, I criticize for their obvious mistakes at just putting together some crap so they can be somebodies in the linux world. If they actually do something to make themselves different, then maybe I'll accept them as being a distro. But right now I just see them as some dudes making crappy spinoffs and screaming about how hard it is.

Maybe you guys should find a new defense than, "BACK OFF YOU ARCH ELITIST, YOU'RE JUST ARROGANT AND DON'T LIKE SPINOFFS, AND DON'T HAVE AS GOOD OF AN OPINION AS I DO".

And no, I still haven't heard a valid response as to why there were no updates in over a month. So no, nothing has been countered effectively.
                  They don't actually "threw a bunch of crap on an Arch base" they run a BFS scheduler and add fglrx support and slow the repos and that's really it. Manjaro is not Arch but that's not a bad thing really.

Comment

Derivatives of Arch Linux are all pointless. Arch is what you configure it to be, and I really don't see a point in making spins based on Arch.

they run a BFS scheduler and add fglrx support
                    You can do that all by yourself on Arch.

Slowing repos down is also WTF feature. I'm running it from 2008 and I could count the number of times an update threw my system unusable on my fingers... Nothing unusual comparing it to other distros out there.

Comment

Originally posted by combuster View Post
                      Derivatives of Arch Linux are all pointless. Arch is what you configure it to be, and I really don't see a point in making spins based on Arch.

You can do that all by yourself on Arch.

Slowing repos down is also WTF feature. I'm running it from 2008 and I could count the number of times an update threw my system unusable on my fingers... Nothing unusual comparing it to other distros out there.
                      Sure you can if you run a custom kernel, and an old version of X

Comment

Working...
                      X