Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    Well, looks like it'll hurt! (http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...s-phone-devel/)
    When they using WinPhone 7 for their entire fleet, and go VStudio for developing software, then bye2 Qt.
    Yes. The ONLY slight winner here is MS. They only have upside. If it works, even a bit, they will get _some_ market share in a market they had been losing pretty spectacularly. If it doesn't, they still keep the 3% market share they had today, and they will have sold a lot of new licenses to nokia.

Again, this is an MS alumnus fsking his new company to benefit his old company. Someone explain to me what Nokia's board was smoking when they brought this man in. I demand some of that

To top it off, if you haven't seen the "burning platform" leaked memo from that clown, please do. Way to show leadership, a panicky email to all your workforce. And push them all to the frigid arctic waters. Hey, what do you know, maybe a few will survive. But the real as***les have golden parachutes.

Comment

That's really quite sad, for both Qt and MeeGo. But on the bright side, neither can be killed off even if Nokia suddenly disappeared off the face of the Earth. Meanwhile, we can only hope that everything will turn out well with or without them and wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
        Its karma
        Mubarak resigned and democracy in egypt.
        Mircosoft grips hold of linux and boots it off smartphones.
        Wait, isn't this the opposite of karma? Don't you mean like "It's the law of equilibrium"? When one thing improves, another one has to get ruined.

Comment

Idiots @ Nokia.
          I find no different word for this.

They should have teamed up with Android - both are linux-based, android goes via javascript, Nokia binds js to qt and its done.

But no, they unite with dirty monopoly, remove all past innovations, do great blow to all Qt developers worldwide and refuse from future.

They are either on drugs or born stupid, I'm glad I didn't purchase Nokia phone yet, although I planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Wait, isn't this the opposite of karma? Don't you mean like "It's the law of equilibrium"? When one thing improves, another one has to get ruined.
            Lets burn down microsoft to the ground and improve linux as desktop and gaming.

Comment

Nokia, WTF. You were this close to making me buy one of your handsets again after some 10 years, with a proper Meego lineup, but going bed with MS?

And stating that the one Meego device is just for gathering data... Why do I get the feeling that those supporting the right way have left or been kicked out (see: Ari Jaaksi). I'm expecting more of Elop's buddies transplanted to the C*O team.

Oh, the other companies' stocks (those Nokia outsources parts of their Symbian development to) have gone down today by similar amounts (Digia -13%, Ixonos -14%).

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
              I should know, I worked at Sony Ericsson, developing Symbian smartphones, for 3.5 years.
              I'm sorry for your loss. It must've been terrible.

Comment

Does MS get access to any worthwhile patents in the process?
                Any "if you kick the bucket, all of your IP are belong to us" fine-print?
                Since litigation is part of MS's arsenal to silence pesky competitors... It wouldn't be surprising, right?

Send in a goon, sink a company from within, cherry-pick the yummy bits later for pocket change...

Novell, Nokia... Must be the "No competition" strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  Again, this is an MS alumnus fsking his new company to benefit his old company. Someone explain to me what Nokia's board was smoking when they brought this man in. I demand some of that
                  I can get you some. Just one thing.

Don't come to me complaining when you wake up in your bed tomorrow, finding out you're bankrupt, your wife is gone and there's some woman in lingerie laying next to you, holding a knife to your throat.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                    Does MS get access to any worthwhile patents in the process?
                    Any "if you kick the bucket, all of your IP are belong to us" fine-print?
                    Since litigation is part of MS's arsenal to silence pesky competitors... It wouldn't be surprising, right?

Send in a goon, sink a company from within, cherry-pick the yummy bits later for pocket change...

Novell, Nokia... Must be the "No competition" strategy.
                    you may not have realised it but you're the first to mention it in the thread....

so while it not about what you speculate...

yes it is about who has the strongest patent portfolios in the [mobile] market, and yes it is nokia's new (well old really) strategy, and it will probably mean that the Nokia-Microsoft alliance may force a settlement between Apple and Nokia following their huge and growing patent dispute's

i also expect interesting news to come out of

Join the mobile technology ecosystem at the largest and most influential connectivity event in the world, hosted by GSMA in Barcelona, Spain, 2024

Mobile World Congress 2011
                    The 2011 Mobile World Congress will be held 14-17 February, in Barcelona, Spain. This year's Congress will include:

and that's even before the MS PR machine start's on the windows8 ARM big time around July/September 2011 i expect.

ooh and lets not forget meego OC is also officially backed by AMD now

so you might expect Ben Bar-Haim, corporate VP of software development at AMD to also make a statement soon enough about that

"NOT WANTING to be left out in the cold, AMD has signed up to help the Linux based operating system Meego get off the ground.

Originally announced as a joint collaboration between Nokia and Intel, Meego has gained support from AMD, which has said it will join The Linux Foundation's Meego project to provide engineering expertise. It hopes that joining the consortium will help set the technical foundations for Meego."

Comment

My only problem with this that they employed lots of opensource developers, and they were making Linux a better platform. I personally know a couple of guys who was working on gcc optimizations for Nokia. Now these projects probably will stop. So this is a big loss for the opensource community, as these developers will be developing Windows technologies or quit/be fired by Nokia.

Comment

Working...
                      X