• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

Phoronix: Nokia & Microsoft Get In Bed, Qt & MeeGo Take A Back

As many were expecting, Nokia and Microsoft this morning announced a strategic partnership under which Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 will become Nokia's primary smart-phone platform. With this move, it really darkens the outlook for the MeeGo Linux platform. Additionally, on Nokia's Windows Phone 7 implementation, their Qt tool-kit will not be available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA5Ng

• Nevertime
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    :P It was badly sold... seems obvious in hindsight.

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
    looks like pridicably plan b fail miserably
    Plan B was a hoax:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/16/n...oax-all-along/

Leave a comment:

• Thatguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    On the bright side, if the windows phones don't sell very well relative to it's predecessors, then maybe windows phones will be stuck with a lingering bad reputation as well as Microsoft hopefully out of some money from their subsidizing Nokia's windows conversion.

I'd love to buy a MeeGo phone to support the platform. Unfortunately, the only MeeGo phone out there and most MeeGo phones likely to be developed in the near term use GSM. Unfortunately, my mobile carrier, Sprint, (as well as Verizon, the cell phone carrier with the highest US market share) uses CDMA.
    Based on first hand consumer response, I bet windows phone will sell as good or better then andriod. plus with microsoft leading the way it'll certainly be cheaper to develope for the phone manufacturers.

A point many seems to forget, if WP7 is cheaped for carriers and manufacturers and offer more security to piracy, geuss what they are going to install in droves.

anything that makes for a better bottom line will always have high levels of adoption.

Leave a comment:

• Prescience500
    replied
    On the bright side, if the windows phones don't sell very well relative to it's predecessors, then maybe windows phones will be stuck with a lingering bad reputation as well as Microsoft hopefully out of some money from their subsidizing Nokia's windows conversion.

I'd love to buy a MeeGo phone to support the platform. Unfortunately, the only MeeGo phone out there and most MeeGo phones likely to be developed in the near term use GSM. Unfortunately, my mobile carrier, Sprint, (as well as Verizon, the cell phone carrier with the highest US market share) uses CDMA.

Leave a comment:

• ?John?
    replied
    Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    Perhaps it's good to have some energizing competition?
    I think there's no room for any "perhaps" - definitely! Even this NOKIA partnership with the devil can ultimately be beneficial:
    If it flops, then we have one less M$ ditch-digger to worry about and others will be less likely to fall for such deals in the future.
    If it actually gains them any more market share, it will most likely scare the crap out of the others and make them double the efforts to further improve their stuff even if it's just for good measure.
    Healthy competition is good for everyone as many people are way too lazy to do anything but finding excuses to keep sitting on their hands without it, especially the ones driven by money - you know, putting out only the fires that really burn is one of the most popular ways to maximize the profit out there.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied

But a lot of people don't focus on the performance of their compiler if there are other factors that make it a lot more beneficial to use, for instance SANE compiler output. GCC has been horrible at this previously, but I'm happy to say that it seems to be improving since Clang/LLVM came around.
    I guess many more people prefer performance over output. btw. clang can be used on Linux as well, so double win for L.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    But I have seen other comparisons, where Clang (LLVM) by far outperformed GCC.
    http://clang.llvm.org/performance.html

Perhaps their own website is far from objective, but it's interesting to see several different sources.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...num=1&single=1
    For instance, shows quite even results.

But a lot of people don't focus on the performance of their compiler if there are other factors that make it a lot more beneficial to use, for instance SANE compiler output. GCC has been horrible at this previously, but I'm happy to say that it seems to be improving since Clang/LLVM came around.

Leave a comment:

• Nevertime
    replied
    Were do you have those numbers? And what version of Clang? It would be interesting to see the data behind that statement.
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-Final-results

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    GCC just kills clang in performance.
    Were do you have those numbers? And what version of Clang? It would be interesting to see the data behind that statement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X