No announcement yet.

KDE Software Compilation 4.5 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome sucks and looks ugly. And it's too slow because of Gtk. KDE is better, and it looks much more polished than Gnome (which looks like Windows 95). And its faster because of Qt. Also, Gnome users totally suck too, and KDE users are awesome and have more sex.

Comment

Always the same discussion on every KDE, Gnome, whatever realease. People are different, they have their own thoughts, so it's impossible to convince about "what it's better", because for every person there is something that is better, every person has their tastes and that's good, because if all people will like the same, and all people will think the same, then we would not be people, we would be robots.

Conclusion: KDE is good, Gnome is good, and whatever is good!

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
        Are you sure it's KDE thing? Seprate screens for each head (aka Zaphod mode) is amatter of configuration ox X server trough xorg.conf. Currently both Gnome and KDE are managing displays with xrandr which doesn't support that. In Xrandr world, both displays are on the same screen on one large pixmap. Actually it's xrandr 1.4 specs that provide separate pixmap per screen. IIRC this version of xrand is part of not released xserver 1.9 and supported just by latest inel drivers (also not releases iirc).

Also in Zaphod mode you have no accel for screens so performance would suck badly.

BTW did you know that now (KDE 4.4) you have separate activity per screen? So you can have different wallpaters and set of panels/plasmoids on each screen? I believe that's closest to your ideal setup that you can get with xrandr for now.
        Yes I'm sure this is a KDE thing and I'm not talking about Zaphod mode, though the functionality is similar. I have accel for each screen just fine when I use a different DE/WM.

Both screens show up in KDE 4 and I can see the pointer on the second screen but I can't physically do anything on that screen (left or right clicking does nothing) unless I open windows from my primary screen via terminal and add a switch to the command to have it display on the second screen, which is ridiculously inconvenient. Also I can't put plasmoids on the second screen. It's a known KDE 4 issue and has been known for quite some time. I can do a working dual head setup but only if I span a single desktop across multiple screens (ala TwinView) but I don't want that because my two monitors are different sizes and different resolutions so I'd wind up with a chunk of virtual screen that's physically outside the bounds of my smaller monitor. Also even if both my monitors were identical I still prefer separate X screens to TwinView.

The separate X screen setup works fine with any other DE or WM I've tried and even KDE 3.5. I'll stick with e17 until they get this fixed in KDE 4.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Gnome sucks and looks ugly. And it's too slow because of Gtk. KDE is better, and it looks much more polished than Gnome (which looks like Windows 95). And its faster because of Qt. Also, Gnome users totally suck too, and KDE users are awesome and have more sex.

Yeah i totally agree with that. Only when you are using KDE you are truly a master of computers and software engineering. Of course the Illuminati and the New world order conspire to hold KDE down...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            I just know c++ sucks. It is all that matters...

While you are busy posting on internet forums i am busy programming and i have not that post count of yours... Try not to underestimate a person's computer science knowledge just because they have a different opinion...
            Wow you must be right then.

Please inform me why adding classes to C leads to more bugs. I'm dying to know why people should stop reusing code and instead duplicate as much as possible. Larger code bases realy should contain less bugs, because you say so.

I'm going to write an email to the Compiz devs telling them to go back from C++ to C again and tell them to rewrite functionality for each plugin. That would make so much more sense!

Comment

On second thought maybe it is still referred to as "Zaphod Mode"? Regardless the setup works on everything else I've tried (granted I haven't tried every single other DE/WM out there) and KDE 3.5 and doesn't work with KDE 4.x. It's been a known issue for about 2 years so I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed anytime soon or ever. It's too bad because I really like KDE 4 otherwise but without that functionality it's a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Yes some people says that Qt is faster than GTK, but in reality gnome feels much more snappier than KDE just because Compiz is faster than KWin.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  I just know c++ sucks. It is all that matters...
                  What an expert

Comment

Originally posted by icek View Post
                    Yes some people says that Qt is faster than GTK, but in reality gnome feels much more snappier than KDE just because Compiz is faster than KWin.
                    But Compiz has nothing to do with GNOME, and you can run KDE from Compiz just fine.

If you compare Mutter to KWin, then it will be a fair comparison. Equally, compare Konqueror to Epiphany, KOffice to GNOME Office, Plasma to Gnome-shell, K3b to Brasero, Amarok to Rhythmbox, etc.

What confuses people is when you start comparing Compiz + OpenOffice + Firefox + GNOME to KDE. That's silly. Compare it to Compiz + OpenOffice + Firefox + KDE and see how it stacks up

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      But Compiz has ...
                      Well, I tried install kubuntu, than install ubuntu and the difference was huge in my case. Without any tweaking ubuntu was much faster than kubuntu. I dont mean opening application but moving winodws, minimazing, maximazing, or "start" menu in KDE, that looks soooo choppy. Who cares if open office starts 1 second faster with KDE, when even moving desktop is soo irritating.

Comment

Working...
                      X