Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then why not Kubuntu with Compiz?

Comment

I really don't get these trolls here, accusing others of "fanboism" and adding nothing constructive themselves.

How come that many KDE devs I know don't have a problem with Gnome and I have heard that it is also the other way round, while some users keep fighting over that crap? Well I e.g. work on KDE and have Gnome installed on my parents' machine since I thought that at that time KDE 4 was not up to the task.

Both are fine, often its just nuisances and small issues. Some of those issues keep me away of Gnome and as sirdilznik shows it also works the other way. Btw. as it appears none of the devs in that area has a dualscreen setup yet, though aseigo indicates that this will change most likely in the not too far future. Though I wouldn't hold my breath for 4.6.

Comment

@icek I did not beleive it at first though it turned out for me that the slowness of KWin had to do with drivers. A crappy intel card here is faster than my other cards in KWin.

In fact you could argue why they don't work around this, though there are blog posts on that already so lots has been discussed already.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
          I really don't get these trolls here, accusing others of "fanboism" and adding nothing constructive themselves.

How come that many KDE devs I know don't have a problem with Gnome and I have heard that it is also the other way round, while some users keep fighting over that crap? Well I e.g. work on KDE and have Gnome installed on my parents' machine since I thought that at that time KDE 4 was not up to the task.

Both are fine, often its just nuisances and small issues. Some of those issues keep me away of Gnome and as sirdilznik shows it also works the other way. Btw. as it appears none of the devs in that area has a dualscreen setup yet, though aseigo indicates that this will change most likely in the not too far future. Though I wouldn't hold my breath for 4.6.
          First of all, if you go to page 1 you will find out that it was KDE trolls *again* who started it. Have a look at GNOME announcements too and see what you will find out...

Second, competition is good for business, and flamewars are FUN!Where is your sense of humour?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            First of all, if you go to page 1 you will find out that it was KDE trolls *again* who started it. Have a look at GNOME announcements too and see what you will find out...
            As if it is important who "started" it.

Second, competition is good for business, and flamewars are FUN!Where is your sense of humour?
            Where I come from it is not regarded humour to bash other people and their work. Especially not if their work is for common welfare.

I have nothing against competition -- I thought that was clear -- but competition has nothing to do (per se) with insults, lies etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
              As if it is important who "started" it.

Where I come from it is not regarded humour to bash other people and their work. Especially not if their work is for common welfare.

I have nothing against competition -- I thought that was clear -- but competition has nothing to do (per se) with insults, lies etc.
              I have told no lies yet... And i do not bash KDE developers, i bash KDE fanbois. There is a vast difference...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                I have told no lies yet... And i do not bash KDE developers, i bash KDE fanbois. There is a vast difference...
                Another reason i dislike KDE is the culture of its developers. The mentality that "it works for me" is the answer to every critic. The blatant lies "never faced a crash since 4,1" i often read and think they must believe we are idiots. Their fixation on looks and not substance. Their negative approach on fixing serious problems like the encoding bug which leaves empty files which are not deletable.

PS: 2 paragraphs are enough, if you believe otherwise state the newsworthy items of 4.5 ... Except that 16000 bugs were fixed which means that previous versions were buggy as hell and KDE fanbois were lying about them having a stable system...

In any case my post was not specifically targeted at you.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                  On second thought maybe it is still referred to as "Zaphod Mode"? Regardless the setup works on everything else I've tried (granted I haven't tried every single other DE/WM out there) and KDE 3.5 and doesn't work with KDE 4.x. It's been a known issue for about 2 years so I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed anytime soon or ever. It's too bad because I really like KDE 4 otherwise but without that functionality it's a no go.
                  I also had this setup when KDE4 came out, and had to change my setup to Twinview mode to get two monitors to work. But Twinview is just as good for my use (second monitor is a rarely used projector)
                  I wonder why it cannot be fixed. I would assume that you could look at how KDE3 handles it and do something similar.

Comment

Re: Multi-monitor, XRandR, Zaphod ...

Originally posted by viktorr View Post
                    I also had this setup when KDE4 came out, and had to change my setup to Twinview mode to get two monitors to work. But Twinview is just as good for my use (second monitor is a rarely used projector)
                    I wonder why it cannot be fixed. I would assume that you could look at how KDE3 handles it and do something similar.
                    Aren't all those non-XRandR ways of handling multi-monitor setups deprecated and might get removed from X Server at any point. At least I remember reading that somewhere when studying XOrg stuff, that XRandR is the way forward. If that is so maybe KDE developers don't think its worth their time to work on this and rather work on stuff that has future.

Comment

Re: ATI FGLRX and desktop effects

Originally posted by 7oby View Post
                      Since upgrading from KDE 4.4.x -> 4.5.0 my compositing desktop went terrible slow. The lags during every operation were even that slow that kwin decided to trigger disabling of 3D compositing effects after a while.
                      My co-worker had a similar problem on his laptop with some ATI card and closed-source FGLRX driver. What fixed it for him was going into Desktop Effects settings, untick the box for desktop effects to disable them, hit Apply, and then reenable desktop effects. Since then all is working fine for him even with FGLRX.

Comment

Working...
                      X