Linux 6.10 Honors One Last ReiserFS Request Made By Hans Reiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    But because he did something bad something can't be changed, his former wife cannot be made undead.
    While that is true, you have to look at the root cause. Did he do it because he really was evil or because he had mental health issues? He's now received mental health care and is clearly doing much better and is even showing some kind of remorse, so clearly it wasn't because he really was evil. It doesn't bring back his wife and I don't know if I would want to befriend the guy, but at least he's not bad anymore.

Comment

Gilula.. innovator.. he was shown much generosity
      Changed to...

innovator.. has shown much generosity
      Isn't this worded incorrectly? I thought Gilula was not the one having the generosity?

Comment

Originally posted by WileEPyote View Post

Infanticide?
        So you only want to focus on the gender if it helps women and shames men, but not if it shames women. But if you want to go with the gender of the victims to be technical, let's not call it suicide but manicide? Because Statistics...

Comment

I don't know about that. Have you read the entire letter? I have also been through very similar cognitive behavioral therapy as Hans. I have been bipolar since about 8 years old. All through my teens and 20s, I was borderline sociopathic. I had very, very little empathy. The therapy opened my eyes, and taught me how to be empathetic. Now I might be a little too empathetic these days. lol. If you take them seriously, these therapies have a pretty good success rate.

Then me is a completely different human than now me.

Knowing what I know about these therapies, I lean fairly strongly on the side of him telling the truth about his regrets.
          ​

Where's the fun in that? Don't you know it's always the wife's fault? /s
          actually, I did, and I felt disgusting after having read it and ashamed to have read that pile of shit

and have you killed someone? him being a child is fixable, I had a terrible attitude at one point too. but him having killed someone in cold blood, lying about it, refusing to take responsibility for it, and fighting the charges until the end is not fixable
          Last edited by AlanTuring69; 22 May 2024, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

While that is true, you have to look at the root cause. Did he do it because he really was evil or because he had mental health issues?
            That's a really difficult question to determine.

Virtually nobody thinks they are evil. You can ask the worst rapist/murderer/drug dealer in prison, and they'll explain to you why everything they did was perfectly justified, and they'll believe it. People like Hitler thought everything they did was for the good of [insert justification here]. Is that a mental health issue that just hasn't been resolved yet? Where does that differ from just having different opinions about what is important to them vs you?

What if they say they're sorry? What if you aren't sure if they're being genuine about that apology, or just saying it to get better chances of parole in a few years time? How can you tell the difference, especially from a distance when all you see is a few statements, and can't interact and talk with the guy face to face?

I'm very sympathetic to the viewpoint that prison is meant to rehabilitate, not just punish, and people have to be allowed to move on eventually. However, it's also reasonable to take their past actions into account and view them skeptically. You can't just blindly accept everything they say.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 22 May 2024, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

So you only want to focus on the gender if it helps women and shames men, but not if it shames women. But if you want to go with the gender of the victims to be technical, let's not call it suicide but manicide? Because Statistics...
              Because statistics are awesome.

And I sense that perhaps you are missing the satire here?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

actually, I did, and I felt disgusting after having read it and ashamed to have read that pile of shit

and have you killed someone? him being a child is fixable, I had a terrible attitude at one point too. but him having killed someone in cold blood, lying about it, refusing to take responsibility for it, and fighting the charges until the end is not fixable
                Except that he is taking responsibility for it now.

And of course you try to fight the charges. It's an act of self preservation. I don't imagine there are a lot of people accused and charged with murder that don't try to get into less trouble. Even if they are remorseful, they still try to get a lesser punishment. It's simple human nature to seek less punishment. I'm not immune to it, you aren't immune to it, nobody is immune to it.

And besides that, him doing those things 15 years ago doesn't say anything about who he is today.

People all have the ability to change if they want to.

As for killing someone, if someone takes my kids away from me, that is a distinct possibility. Fucking with someone's family can be a very quick way to send them over the edge. Not saying that means the murder is justified. Just saying it's not an unthought-of or surprising outcome. Most people I know would go to extremes for their children.

Comment

Except that he is taking responsibility for it now.

And of course you try to fight the charges. It's an act of self preservation. I don't imagine there are a lot of people accused and charged with murder that don't try to get into less trouble. Even if they are remorseful, they still try to get a lesser punishment. It's simple human nature to seek less punishment. I'm not immune to it, you aren't immune to it, nobody is immune to it.

And besides that, him doing those things 15 years ago doesn't say anything about who he is today.

People all have the ability to change if they want to.

As for killing someone, if someone takes my kids away from me, that is a distinct possibility. Fucking with someone's family can be a very quick way to send them over the edge. Not saying that means the murder is justified. Just saying it's not an unthought-of or surprising outcome. Most people I know would go to extremes for their children.
                  and he killed his childrens mother despite being an absentee father and supposedly caring about them. they will never get their mother back.

Comment

and he killed his childrens mother despite being an absentee father and supposedly caring about them. they will never get their mother back.
                    lol no way you think AMD can catch up now they been dragging their feet forever and nvidia just scoots ahead like theyre on a highway and AMDs on a dirt road also who cares if there's more vram when the card cant keep up in performance thats just throwing hardware at a software problem and its just not working we all see the benchmarks and we all know the score AMD is always gonna be playing catch up unless they do a full 180 and surprise us which i doubt but hey fanboys will defend anything right

Comment

No. They won't. I didn't say it was justified. Just that it's not an exactly an unheard of outcome. People snap and do bad shit all the time. Doesn't mean they will always be a bad person. I won't go into what deplorable things I've done in my past. I regret them completely and am not the same person I once was. I learned from my past mistakes, and from the pain I caused to others.

He can't change what he did, but he can learn from it and improve himself. People can change for the better, believe it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X