Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 Honors One Last ReiserFS Request Made By Hans Reiser

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 Honors One Last ReiserFS Request Made By Hans Reiser

While ReiserFS is obsolete and will eventually be dropped from the upstream Linux kernel in Linux 6.10 is one last ReiserFS change that was requested by former lead developer Hans Reiser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3, 2, 1...

Thread explode...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 May 2024, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Just read about this event, kinda sad he did wrong decisions but nice to see the improvement and recognizing the other people work 🫡

Comment

99% of developers would not touch this hornet's nest with a 10ft pole, so there should be credit to SUSE/Jan Kara for doing what is right.

What i don't understand is why such accusatory language was accepted into the README of reiserfs to begin with?

Comment

It's beautiful to see someone embrace mercy, especially those who need it themselves--and who doesn't! I only regret that his decision seems to have come about simply because ReiserFS is being removed from the kernel. His note begins, "Assuming that the decision is to remove [ReiserFS] V3 from the kernel, . . ." Perhaps his words were ill-chosen and I misinterpret him, but it sounds like he might not have made this decision if ReiserFS were not on the chopping block?

Comment

Originally posted by Eumaios View Post
            It's beautiful to see someone embrace mercy, especially those who need it themselves--and who doesn't! I only regret that his decision seems to have come about simply because ReiserFS is being removed from the kernel. His note begins, "Assuming that the decision is to remove [ReiserFS] V3 from the kernel, . . ." Perhaps his words were ill-chosen and I misinterpret him, but it sounds like he might not have made this decision if ReiserFS were not on the chopping block?
            I think he meant it in the "if it's going to go away I'd like there to be at least one release where I'm not being an asshole and everyone gets their fair credit." It'd be a lot more meaningful if it was backported to LTS and distribution kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139
              We can all learn from Reisers mistakes.
              Never marry a mailorder bride.
              Yeap. Because it's her origin and way they got together is an issue. Not the homicide, right?

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139
                We can all learn from Reisers mistakes.
                Never marry a mailorder bride.
                Or you know...just don't murder your wife no matter how you met?

Comment

Congrats Hans. You've finally found an even more painful way to to work collaboratively and merge changes than the existing LKML workflow. Prison letter merge requests.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    What i don't understand is why such accusatory language was accepted into the README of reiserfs to begin with?
                    Yeah, I had no idea that this was in there the whole time. It seems totally bizarre to shit all over former contributors in your README no matter how sour things ended up. Put that kind of crap on your blog / website or somewhere else you chronicle the evolution of your project. Not in the README with the source.

Comment

Working...
                    X