No announcement yet.

Systemd 256-rc1 Brings A Huge Number Of New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant wait for systemd_kernel and systemd_wayland!!! Life will be complete then!

To be honest, I really dont like the way systemd handles its logging... I have used it for years and still cant figure out basic error message parsing out of its logs. Again totally personal, but I think you may have done it wrong if your logs require any sort of learning curve just to get them open to read!

Comment

Single point of failure

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Not sure what you need the rest of an operating system for anymore. Just tack on a systemd web browser and you are all set.
        The OS is the Linux kernel. systemd is pure userland. And i am glad it exists, it has made the Linux/GNU ecosystem so much better.

Comment

"Support for cgroup v1 is now considered obsolete and systemd by default will refuse to boot under it."

This sounds inconvenient.

Comment

Originally posted by jrkb View Post
            "Support for cgroup v1 is now considered obsolete and systemd by default will refuse to boot under it."

Maybe, but don't we have cgroup v2 since 2014 -- maybe 2016 at latest?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              I cant wait for systemd_kernel and systemd_wayland!!! Life will be complete then!

To be honest, I really dont like the way systemd handles its logging... I have used it for years and still cant figure out basic error message parsing out of its logs. Again totally personal, but I think you may have done it wrong if your logs require any sort of learning curve just to get them open to read!
              We already have systemd_kernel, that's Linux. It has implemented features specifically for systemd and systemd doesn't work with any other kernel.

The systemd_wayland is trollbait until you remember how many people on this very forum keep going on about how they want wayland to have a single one true compositor.

Comment

The title is massive trollbait but these features look actually great except perhaps the importctl stuff where personally I have some doubts. It depends on the details, especially how are the imported images authenticated and checked for integrity. More broadly, so far the container support in systemd doesn't seem to offer any practical advantage over docker/podman. It's nowhere near having the same ecosystem, it's not even easier to use, and podman integrates very well with systemd anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jrkb View Post

Do you have something that relies on that?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

How is running `journalctl` more complex than running `less /var/log/logfileyouwant`?

Personally I'd also recommend a shell with proper tab completion (e.g. zsh). With that it's pretty easy and straight forward to get the filters you want.
                    There are also log viewers like kjournald, but not all of them are under active development, I think.

Comment

v256 also brings "systemd-pcrlock", which is important for opensuses plans for FDE using systemd-boot:

Systemd-boot and Full Disk Encryption in Tumbleweed and MicroOS openSUSE Tumbleweed and MicroOS are now delivering an image that is using systemd-boot as boo...
                      Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 26 April 2024, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X