GNU Linux-libre 6.8-gnu Dealing With Blobs From New Intel Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post
    Not delusional, its open source, works as expected, you are in a open source freedom world, if it's doesn't works get out of it lol

There is something called "Windows OS" if you need everything that just works 😉
    It is completely delusional. Just as much as your post is.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
      It is completely delusional. Just as much as your post is.
      And yet it's running my Alder Lake laptop. So maybe not so delusional?

Comment

Originally posted by Blademasterz View Post

Not delusional, its open source, works as expected, you are in a open source freedom world, if it's doesn't works get out of it lol

There is something called "Windows OS" if you need everything that just works 😉
        Could you point me to x86_64 system that has all firmware opensourced?
        And no, having it in EEPROM or ROM is not enough.
        As there is a lot of closedsource firmware in PC anyways this kernel is just hiding it under carpet and pretending it does not exists.
        Rather have the ability to load latest firmware than to live with broken one in some ROM due to some ideological jihad.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
          Could you point me to x86_64 system that has all firmware opensourced?
          And no, having it in EEPROM or ROM is not enough.
          As there is a lot of closedsource firmware in PC anyways this kernel is just hiding it under carpet and pretending it does not exists.
          Rather have the ability to load latest firmware than to live with broken one in some ROM due to some ideological jihad.
          This is the most insane part of these projects to me. Like I want that microcode update actually??

Comment

I find the libre kernel worth the tradeoffs. I'm stuck with a closed source firmware anyway but i'd rather one on the hardware that is never going to get worse over one that can be updated at any time from the kernel with updates that may introduce bug fixes but could also introduce nefarious things as well.

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Exactly, I need stuff that works. Not out of touch with reality delusional ideology.
            I am typing this from my desktop that has an i5-12600K and is running the libre kernel. Some newer hardware will work just fine. I've never had a CPU not work with the libre kernel, the issues usually lie with GPU and wifi. It's easy to find a libre friendly wifi. As for the GPU i'm trying to make do with the UHD 770 until I can afford a laptop with the Iris XE. if you do heavy gaming I can see how that will still be an issue but for 2D games, visual novels, and light 3D games it's fine.

Comment

Working...
            X