Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 6.8-gnu Dealing With Blobs From New Intel Drivers

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 6.8-gnu Dealing With Blobs From New Intel Drivers

GNU Linux-libre 6.8-gnu is out as the newest downstream kernel variety endorsed by the Free Software Foundation that takes the upstream Linux kernel but does away with proprietary module support and stripping out drivers/functionality contingent upon binary-only microcode/firmware and other elements not deemed up to their free software standards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Upstream removed atmel, hermes, orinoco_usb, libertas_cs, and zd1201 drivers, so we no longer need to clean them up.
    Upstream has been removing non-free bits for years now. As I've said previously, at some point they will almost converge.

On a side note, I've been helping with testing of some attempts at fixing the i915 problem. There is a boot parameter workaround available ('i915.enable_guc=0') but it will be good to get this nailed down.

Comment

i gotta say, i'd never use their kernel (i like my hardware to work), but i absolutely adore the images these guys keep putting out. serious kudos to the artist(s).

Comment

I wish this distro would post a table or something on their website that CLEARLY STATES what features I am giving up by using this distro that gives up on these blobs. There has to be some tradeoffs, right? That firmware, even though it is a blob, is created and contributed for a reason, right? Or, are these binary blobs completely useless and therefore this entire de-blobbing process is nothing but 'theater art' & political posturing, or maybe a way to keep a bunch of coders busy?

Seriously, I tried poking around this website for a little while, thinking that some obvious link would pop up and give me a technical overview of the pros & cons of this distro. The closest I came to any recently posted level of transparency (but there may be others buried in the 'noise' of their associated websites) in what I would have to give up to use Linux-libre is ths quote from the following page:

2023-03-12 - i915 deblobbing bug fix

Initializing the i915 driver when using certain Intel i915 GPU variants appears to freeze the system: there is an infinite loop of disarmed (unsatisfiable) blob loading attempts in 6.1.-gnu (up to 6.1.18-gnu) and 6.2.-gnu (up to 6.2.5-gnu). See this thread for a workaround (that bypasses the loop but disables GPU acceleration), to confirm whether your GPU is affected, and for a patch, that fixes the problem without disabling GPU acceleration. The fix is slated for inclusion in upcoming releases, presumably 6.1.19-gnu, 6.2.6-gnu, and 6.3-rc*-gnu.
        ​

Ahh yes that is all very well and good ... but I want MORE TECHNICAL TRANSPARENCY and presented in a coherent manner that clearly makes the TECHNICAL case FOR Linux-libre. Political & emotional arguments matter very little to me when choosing an OS.

Perhaps the Linux-libre distro folks have such a strong aversion towards binary blobs & closed source code that they simply cannot force themselves to touch it long enough so that such a truly honest comparison can be created for prospective users of their fine work. Or maybe it's just a persistent case of unresolved 'childhood cooties' complex?

Look, I am not saying the Linux-libre folks are wrong; this distro is their 'thing' and I am fine with that.

BUT ... if you want me to take my time to seriously consider using your distro ... Gimme the facts Jack!

Aside: And for the Moronix snarkers that say I ought to create such a table ... my life is too short (srsly, I am getting "Wear Indicator" messages ) and I have MUCH BETTER uses for my remaining operating life.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
          i gotta say, i'd never use their kernel (i like my hardware to work), but i absolutely adore the images these guys keep putting out. serious kudos to the artist(s).
          It's still good work. Linux is free, but the binary blob stuff is a two edged sword. The blob is a black box of software that you run, that could do bad things(tm). On the other hand it let's vendors push out cheaper hardware and let users bug test them and later release new firmware as blobs...

As much of the Internet is run on virtual machines anyway these days, the libre Linux still has good opportunities to be used.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
            I wish this distro would post a table or something on their website
            It's not a distro, it's a de-blobbed kernel. You can read the deblob script for each release here: http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/
            Mailing list is here: http://www.fsfla.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-libre

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

It's still good work. Linux is free, but the binary blob stuff is a two edged sword. The blob is a black box of software that you run, that could do bad things(tm). On the other hand it let's vendors push out cheaper hardware and let users bug test them and later release new firmware as blobs...

As much of the Internet is run on virtual machines anyway these days, the libre Linux still has good opportunities to be used.
              Oh. No doubt. I'd prefer a blob free distribution/kernel in theory, it's just that in practice you give up too much.

Comment

I give thanks to everyone who toils on this project.
                There should be no impediment to at least using the linux-libre kernel for virtual machines.
                This project is extremely important because it reminds everyone of the original point of Free software and what the remaining delta is between the upstream Linux project and what needs to be dealt with in one way or another before those two project can become overlapping magisterias. It is my hope that Linux-libre anchors Linux to Free software, even if the chain is made of quit the elastic rubber band. I hope one day that we can have a fully Free software stack without any technical or performance compromises remaining. I still hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
                  Oh. No doubt. I'd prefer a blob free distribution/kernel in theory, it's just that in practice you give up too much.
                  Exactly, I need stuff that works. Not out of touch with reality delusional ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Exactly, I need stuff that works. Not out of touch with reality delusional ideology.
                    Not delusional, its open source, works as expected, you are in a open source freedom world, if it's doesn't works get out of it lol

There is something called "Windows OS" if you need everything that just works 😉

Comment

Working...
                    X