New Linux Kernel Patches Begin Plumbing Rust Support Into Bcachefs Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post

You must mean something different, I guess, because gcc LTO is mainline for years.
    When I said clang is the way to go, I especially mean for developers, end users not that much. With clang you can easily use multi threaded link time optimization that scales very well with the cores. But most importantly, gcc is a lot more memory hungry when it comes to LTO. So memory may be a limiting factor here.
    I was talking about mainline linux, not mainline gcc. While you can compile LTO linux with llvm, you need out of tree patches to do it with gcc like these https://www.phoronix.com/news/GCC-LTO-Linux-2022. For developers, I cannot get what you are saying. I am sure the way to go is, "make sure it runs, with all supported compilers and all potential flag combinations". So you will have to compile it with both llvm and gcc in any case.

Well, yes, if you live on the bleeding edge, the latest llvm version might not get used for rustc right away - they stabilize and test first to prevent regressions. Nevertheless, it is quite easy to pick a combo of clang+rustc that allows cross-language LTO. That's what I wanted to say.

You are contradicting your previous post here. You had literally said the latest.

I understand your point, but I was wondering if it is really a problem in praxis.
    For some people, me included, having older toolchains just for that reason is really a problem. A small problem, but a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post

You are contradicting your previous post here. You had literally said the latest.
      The latest available via your stable distribution, not the latest you can download and build yourself.

Comment

Working...
      X