New Linux Kernel Patches Begin Plumbing Rust Support Into Bcachefs Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Kernel Patches Begin Plumbing Rust Support Into Bcachefs Driver

Phoronix: New Linux Kernel Patches Begin Plumbing Rust Support Into Bcachefs Driver

There's been much excitement around the Bcachefs file-system since it was mainlined in the Linux kernel at the end of last year. Looking ahead to Linux 6.9 it's looking like it may be one of the first file-system drivers to begin making use of the Rust programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was interested at bcachefs at first. No I am no longer interested. Well, it is better to have my expectations refuted earlier rather than later, so I can be thankful for that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by marios View Post
      I was interested at bcachefs at first. No I am no longer interested. Well, it is better to have my expectations refuted earlier rather than later, so I can be thankful for that at least.
      Oh, another one account.

Comment

I don't think Kent saw these patches before.

Originally posted by Kent
        so the module_init in Rust is an interesting test case, but - not much
        point in checking it in if we're not deleting code on the C side.

Instead, have you looked at pulling the btree transaction layer bindings
        from -tools into the kernel? That was going to be my starting point;
        once we've got that there's a lot of code we'll be able to rewrite in
        Rust piecmeal (fsck, debugs, alloc_background.c - anything that
        primarily interacts with the transaction layer).​

Comment

i tried to pre-empt the troll onslaught by announcing this in a previous bcachefs thread, but apparently trolls don't just hunt for bait, they professionally try to disrupt discussion

Comment

And the reason for this is? They removed a feature you wanted or?

Comment

Oh nooo, what will they do without you?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

And the reason for this is? They removed a feature you wanted or?
                No but I am afraid something important will be removed in the future. The important thing being the ability to compile the filesystem without rustc (I am never using a precompiled kernel and I do not want to have rustc just in order to compile my kernel). Also I want to point out that spreading rust has some (albeit not very important) consequences in the potential user adoption (for me it went from "I am looking forward to use it for my rock5b, when some performance issues and other bugs are solved" to "if I use it, I might regret it in the future, when the C implementation is deprecated").

Edit: Seeing Kent's response, he is all in for rewriting things in Rust. As long the C implementation is removed. This makes it almost certain that large portions of bcachefs will be RIIRed with the C implemntations thrown away, causing a rustc dependency.
                Last edited by marios; 07 February 2024, 09:40 AM. Reason: Extra evidence for my fears

Comment

No but I am afraid something important will be removed in the future. The important thing being the ability to compile the filesystem without rustc
                  Do you get afraid everytime a RFC is posted about what unknown things might happen in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Do you get afraid everytime a RFC is posted about what unknown things might happen in the future?
                    No but this time the intention is clear. RIIR, in order to ditch the C implementation once the Rust implantation is not complete crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X