No announcement yet.

A Fix For The Severe Linux Performance Regression Spotted By Torvalds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or does this seemingly random addition of 25 % of the current frequency feel like a nasty hack? I'd even bet some money that this is going to blow up again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
      Is it just me or does this seemingly random addition of 25 % of the current frequency feel like a nasty hack? I'd even bet some money that this is going to blow up again in the future.
      See my comment above. I would never commit that without some inline doc about what that is supposed to do.

Comment

If only there was some kind of infrastructure and methodology to automatically test new code submissions and alert the respective parties automatically upon failure!

Linux development is so archaic it's beyond belief. Submitting anything takes weeks of training and reading before you set up your trees and emails and whatnot. It's a miracle by itself that the whole thing hasn't imploded into itself already. It's like using using a bulletin board system (BBS) for organizing your meetings or something.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
          The entire schedutil governor is a nasty hack, tbh. (And yep, you're right.)

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
            linus is a boomer, i bet he drives a 80's f150...
            Mercedes SLK convertible

The license plate on Linus Torvalds' Mercedes SLK convertible says it all. The frame running around the outside of the plate says "Mr. Linux. King of All Geeks," but the plate itself reads "Dad of 3." Linus Torvalds has reached middle age, and so has Linux. Nowadays, it's easy to take both of them for granted. But both are still going strong -- very strong.
            Last edited by elatllat; 14 January 2024, 09:11 PM.

Comment

linus is a boomer, i bet he drives a 80's f150.

Solar panels work just fine in the winter, unless they are snowed in of course. He should get wind and water power too. He should also get satelite backup internet.
              Linus is a Gen-Xer ....

Not sure what the point of trying to insult someone for their generation cohort is. But if you are going to do non-sensicle things, then at least try to get it right.

This is just another way of painting people with stereotypes, instead of making an effort to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                That line of code can be used as a negative example in any clean code course.
                More like optimizing for -O0 to me by replacing multiplication then division with a shift and add. Not as bad as poor variable naming.

Comment

linus is a boomer, i bet he drives a 80's f150.

Solar panels work just fine in the winter, unless they are snowed in of course. He should get wind and water power too. He should also get satelite backup internet.
                  Whatever, he's Gen-X, dweeb.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You do know that the Linux Foundation, which Linus technically owns, pays Linux 1.5 million a year and that Linus has a net worth of about 50 million dollars?

The real question is why he never bothered to get these things.
                    Never heard of the Linux Foundation giving him money.
                    But yeah it's an interesting question why he didn't bother to get those things himself.
                    I mean it's good to have a backup for energy and internet, if you can afford it.

Comment

While speculating about Linus' life choices/situation may be fun, I think at least someone in the comments should give props/respect to Vincent Guittot for finding/fixing root-cause of the regression, and on a Saturday/Sunday no less.

Comment

Working...
                      X