A Fix For The Severe Linux Performance Regression Spotted By Torvalds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fix For The Severe Linux Performance Regression Spotted By Torvalds

Phoronix: A Fix For The Severe Linux Performance Regression Spotted By Torvalds

Prior to Linus Torvalds' Internet and electricity being knocked out by a snow storm and thus impacting the Linux 6.8 merge window, his weekend was already in rough shape due to encountering a performance regression with new Linux 6.8 code that was causing his Linux kernel builds to be as twice as long as with previous kernels. An AMD Linux engineer was able to reproduce the regression and with upstream developers there is now a believed fix for this issue in the latest scheduler code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad that the Linux foundation gets a lot of money from companies and yet don't care to make sure that the most important man in the kernel's development doesn't have the maximum reliability, like solar panels, wind mills, batteries, UPSes (in case the house batteries have some problems) a second fixed internet subscription, a 3G-4G modem, etc!

Every time I'm wondering what they are doing with the tons of money as they clearly don't help Linux adoption, don't help the desktop environments, don't help Phoronix to have what it needs for continuous regressions testing and now I see that they don't help even Linus.
    It seems to me that this is another organization like Mozilla that just wastes money because of bad leadership.
    Here at least the market share of Linux is not going down like the one of Firefox as there are no good alternatives, but it's clearly not helping advance much.

I would fire those people and hire new ones, at the top people that care more about Linux and open source software, let's say Michael from Phoronix and Richard Stallman from FSF or wherever he is now.

I wonder if Microsoft knew about this when it decided to become a member of it.
    Because if it knew that this organization does mostly nothing and does nothing or very little to improve Linux's adoption, I think it finally makes sense why they would join it as it would not help their competition much, but it would be a great PR move making them look like the good guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Too bad that the Linux foundation gets a lot of money from companies and yet don't care to make sure that the most important man in the kernel's development doesn't have the maximum reliability, like solar panels, wind mills, batteries, UPSes (in case the house batteries have some problems) a second fixed internet subscription, a 3G-4G modem, etc!

Every time I'm wondering what they are doing with the tons of money as they clearly don't help Linux adoption, don't help the desktop environments, don't help Phoronix to have what it needs for continuous regressions testing and now I see that they don't help even Linus.
      It seems to me that this is another organization like Mozilla that just wastes money because of bad leadership.
      Here at least the market share of Linux is not going down like the one of Firefox as there are no good alternatives, but it's clearly not helping advance much.

I would fire those people and hire new ones, at the top people that care more about Linux and open source software, let's say Michael from Phoronix and Richard Stallman from FSF or wherever he is now.

I wonder if Microsoft knew about this when it decided to become a member of it.
      Because if it knew that this organization does mostly nothing and does nothing or very little to improve Linux's adoption, I think it finally makes sense why they would join it as it would not help their competition much, but it would be a great PR move making them look like the good guys.
      Oh come on now. A week's delay in the kernel merge cycle every couple of years isn't the kind of disaster to justify forcing Linus to turn his private home into a bunker.

Not to mention the solutions you are proposing are entirely unsuited to handle prolonged outages caused by harsh winder storms.

(Minimal sunlight in the northern winter + snowed-in rooftop panels, reduced battery capacity due to low temperature, a workstation running power-intensive tasks like kernel compilation constantly for regression testing etc.)

If the occasional week's delay is such a deal-breaker, a starlink antenna + a diesel generator would suffice.

Comment

- Extremely uncommon weather event happens due to changing weather patterns vs infrastructure which was built to withstand the weather at the time it was constructed.
        - "AMERICAS INFRASTRUCTURE IS TERRIBLE", "The people who wipe Linus' ass should be FIRED for not making sure he can still access the internet and give me my rc which fixes absolutely nothing I care about in the case of a blizzard, hurricane, yellowstone fucking erupting and Canada detaching from North America all at the same time"

Like dude the world doesn't stop just because Linus doesn't have internet, he is only the highest-level maintainer. There is still tons of work happening across every different subsystem, as is always the case. Even if he has internet, what then? Does he even WANT to run a diesel generator and work while his entire family is undoubtedly stuck home and bored out of their minds?

The people who are outraged over Linus losing access for one single week are both dumb and stupid, at the same time.
        Last edited by AlanTuring69; 14 January 2024, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Expectation: technical discussion about whether 25% margin is enough or not
          Reality: people fighting about forcing Linus to work during snow storm

I'm proud of this community (no).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            You do know that the Linux Foundation, which Linus technically owns, pays Linux 1.5 million a year and that Linus has a net worth of about 50 million dollars?

The real question is why he never bothered to get these things.

Comment

linus is a boomer, i bet he drives a 80's f150.

Solar panels work just fine in the winter, unless they are snowed in of course. He should get wind and water power too. He should also get satelite backup internet.

Comment

That line of code can be used as a negative example in any clean code course.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  linus is a boomer, i bet he drives a 80's f150.

Solar panels work just fine in the winter, unless they are snowed in of course. He should get wind and water power too. He should also get satelite backup internet.
                  There's not much sun in Oregon during the winters (about 25% of what they get in summer), although of course he could buy tons of extra panels if he wanted to.

But skipping a week like this isn't a big deal to anyone. He's done it before based on holidays or vacations, and nobody cares. Doing it because of a storm doesn't matter to anyone either.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 14 January 2024, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Once again this makes me more curious to see the FreeBSD scheduler compared to the Linux scheduler. Can even be done with Linux code running on both.

Comment

Working...
                    X