Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vim 9.1 Released With Smooth Scrolling, Support For Vim9 Classes

Phoronix: Vim 9.1 Released With Smooth Scrolling, Support For Vim9 Classes

Out today in kicking off the new year is a new release of Vim, the powerful screen-based text editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VIM, The only text editor I constantly never remeber how to save and exit from

Comment

Good thing for that OpenVMS support, now I can dump Windows and go to that instead.

Comment

Vim is superseded by NeoVim. I don't see news about NeoVim releases here.

Vim boss ( Bram Moolenaar) died in August 2023.

Comment

That's not really smooth scrolling, it stills scrolls by lines, not by pixels. Scrolling by pixels may not make as much sense in editors as in other applications but it is really helpful when scrolling with touchpads (which have been ubiquitous for decades now) or even a mouse with a high-resolution scroll wheel. Emacs already supports pixel scrolling, it would be nice if Vim did too.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Vim is superseded by NeoVim. I don't see news about NeoVim releases here.
            Not superseded, NeoVim is simply a fork. No way of telling which will be the dominant Vi-clone in 200+ years. That said, "Neo" will sound like a pretty stupid name once it is a couple of decades old though...

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Vim boss ( Bram Moolenaar) died in August 2023.​
            A large proportion of software (and hardware) running on your PC is (sadly) invented by deceased people (Dennis Richie and most of the guys behind early Intel come to mind). However, good software tends to be carried forwards by teams of people rather than the original creator.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 02 January 2024, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sindex View Post
              really helpful when scrolling with touchpads (which have been ubiquitous for decades now) or even a mouse with a high-resolution scroll wheel
              This should be handled like how games let you disable smooth scrolling and adjust sensitivity: Have a variable that lets you set a threshold for how many mouse wheel input events are necessary to toggle a line up/down callback and another variable for the milliseconds threshold between input events.

And mind you, it's necessary to have even more variables for pixel rendering and scrolling: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gecko:Mouse...17_.28Firefox_ 17.29_or_later​

. Emacs already supports pixel scrolling, it would be nice if Vim did too.
              A feature's existence in emacs wasn't a valid metric for anything for the last 20 years.​
              Last edited by c117152; 02 January 2024, 07:09 PM. Reason: fix quotes syntax

Comment

There is vi / vim.

And then there is everything else.

Comment

So VIM trying to copy Java? WOnder if NeoVIM will make same mistakeee................

Comment

That's not really smooth scrolling, it stills scrolls by lines, not by pixels. Scrolling by pixels may not make as much sense in editors as in other applications but it is really helpful when scrolling with touchpads (which have been ubiquitous for decades now) or even a mouse with a high-resolution scroll wheel. Emacs already supports pixel scrolling, it would be nice if Vim did too.
                    I use a high resolution screen and small fonts. Simply holding Ctrl-Y and Ctrl-E to scroll by single lines (and this has worked for a couple decades, at least) is smooth enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X