PoCL 5.0 Released With Transparent OpenCL Over Networked Systems Capability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoCL 5.0 Released With Transparent OpenCL Over Networked Systems Capability

Phoronix: PoCL 5.0 Released With Transparent OpenCL Over Networked Systems Capability

PoCL 5.0 has been officially released as the latest version of this "Portable Computing Language" implementation that provides OpenCL support for CPU-based execution as well as various other LLVM-based hardware back-ends like for NVIDIA PTX and oneAPI Level Zero. With PoCL 5.0 is also a new experimental back-end for targeting OpenCL support distributed across networked systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the adoption of OpenCL in codes that could make use of it? I'm only aware of FluidX3D and even that is mostly used as benchmark around here...

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      What is the adoption of OpenCL in codes that could make use of it? I'm only aware of FluidX3D and even that is mostly used as benchmark around here...
      llama-cpp has an OpenCL backend (CLBlast).

Also, OpenCL is used a lot in defense or nation critical computing, where depending on a single vendor (hello Nvidia) is completely out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
        The gegl library, used by e.g. by Gimp uses OpenCL to perform parallel computations on filters. Simulation packages, such as the MD-code Gromacs use OpenCL -- in the case of Gromacs there's a choice of OpenCL, CUDA, SYCL and MPI for distributed computing.

Comment

Working...
        X