Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chromer View Post
    Magic Number 666.
    Yeah I thought that Linux kernel version is a joke!

Comment

Linux really needs to establish a clearer distinction between fix and feature change, and never change features in old kernel series.

Comment

I can confirm bluetooth regression, instead of wifi

Comment

And next update something else breaks.

It's so cool to update everything at once you know, instead of updating crap separately, which is why the bundled open source graphics drivers are a joke because they're bundled and if you want to update it, you risk regressions in completely unrelated areas.

Comment

Time has come, ladies and gentlemen!
            Jokes aside, this shows why it's better to use distros with added layer of supervision for kernel releases, and avoid so-called "stable" or "LTS" versions provided by kernel.org and Arch, for example. The worst thing they also do is "backporting" untested patches to earlier versions of LTS kernels making otherwise okay-ish kernels fail here and there. Honestly mainline kernels are just a threat to a stable working environment.
            Use Ubuntu/ Debian/ Leap on non-cutting edge hardware and you'll be (mostly) fine.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post
              Use Ubuntu/ Debian/ Leap on non-cutting edge hardware and you'll be (mostly) fine.
              Debian had the ext4 regression in 12.3.

Comment

People who uses rolling release are who keep your peace....

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  And next update something else breaks.

It's so cool to update everything at once you know, instead of updating crap separately, which is why the bundled open source graphics drivers are a joke because they're bundled and if you want to update it, you risk regressions in completely unrelated areas.
                  Last time I brought that up I was told to go and backport GPU commits from stable to LTS

Comment

Time has come, ladies and gentlemen!
                    Jokes aside, this shows why it's better to use distros with added layer of supervision for kernel releases, and avoid so-called "stable" or "LTS" versions provided by kernel.org and Arch, for example. The worst thing they also do is "backporting" untested patches to earlier versions of LTS kernels making otherwise okay-ish kernels fail here and there. Honestly mainline kernels are just a threat to a stable working environment.
                    No matter which one you pick you'll mostly be fine. Both distro and kernel maintainers seem to make otherwise okay-ish kernels fail here and there.

Comment

Leap is constant stream of regressions... I already hit 4 from just 8 kernel updates :-(

Comment

Working...
                      X