Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.5 Ready To Ship With Initial USB4 v2, More WiFi 7, AMD P-State EPP Default & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 Ready To Ship With Initial USB4 v2, More WiFi 7, AMD P-State EPP Default & More

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 Ready To Ship With Initial USB4 v2, More WiFi 7, AMD P-State EPP Default & More

Barring any last minute problems from coming up, the Linux 6.5 kernel is expected to be released as stable tomorrow, 27 August. Here's a reminder about all of the great changes and new features with this next kernel version, which is especially heavy on exciting additions for Intel and AMD Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope changing the refresh rate on eDP panels finally works now. So far it required injecting a custom EDID into the kernel because the driver would lock to the preferred refresh rate and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
      I hope changing the refresh rate on eDP panels finally works now. So far it required injecting a custom EDID into the kernel because the driver would lock to the preferred refresh rate and leave it at that.
      Got more details on how to do this? E.g. Github issue link?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Got more details on how to do this? E.g. Github issue link?
        I have i7-10875H processor on my laptop. I have disabled the NVIDIA dGPU, so the problem is only about intel drivers. I'm using Debian 11. Tested with Kernels: 5.10.0-9-amd64 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 I

Comment

I wonder if the fan control in the final version 6.5 will work for RDNA3 cards, or is it a corectrl/LACT issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Spajdrex View Post
            I wonder if the fan control in the final version 6.5 will work for RDNA3 cards, or is it a corectrl/LACT issue?
            AMD dev said it needed new kernel interface, as it's entirely firmware controlled since RDNA3. My worst case guess is it might take years.

Comment

Originally posted by Spajdrex View Post
              isn't that only for the reference cards?
              edit:
              i found this:
              I see several bugs and complains about this in various, third-party, HW control+monitoring apps sites, but nothing here in the forums or articles about the fact that it doesn't seem to be possible to control the 7900 series fans from Linux with the AMDGPU kernel driver. It seems like it's a problem with AMDGPU, but I also read

Manual fan control is no longer available on RDNA3 GPUs. You can only adjust the fan curve. That does not fit into the existing hwmon manual fan control interface so a new interface would need be developed to expose it to users. The programming information is exposed in the driver, it's just not yet hooked up to an interface for user control.
              Mostly just trying to understand whether it's something we can fit into the existing hwmon infrastructure or if we need to come up with a new interface, be it an addition to hwmon or an AMD specific interface in amdgpu.
              luckily the fan curve on my powercolor hellhound 7900 xt isn't awful and with the oversized cooler it runs extremely cool i don't need to mess with it.
              Last edited by pieman; 26 August 2023, 03:47 PM.

Comment

USB4 v2? I hope it has backwards compatibility so I don't have to replace my mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                X