RX 7900-series (or all RDNA3?) + AMDGPU = Fan Control Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX 7900-series (or all RDNA3?) + AMDGPU = Fan Control Missing

I see several bugs and complains about this in various, third-party, HW control+monitoring apps sites, but nothing here in the forums or articles about the fact that it doesn't seem to be possible to control the 7900 series fans from Linux with the AMDGPU kernel driver. It seems like it's a problem with AMDGPU, but I also read that RDNA3 changed how power and fan control work, fundamentally, and that is presumed to be a key factor in the delay. Can anyone here can add anything to this story? It would be really helpful to know if the card I bought will ever get fan support, or if I need to try to get rid of it before it depreciates even further. It's been seven months, which seems long, even for Linux.

Manual fan control is no longer available on RDNA3 GPUs. You can only adjust the fan curve. That does not fit into the existing hwmon manual fan control interface so a new interface would need be developed to expose it to users. The programming information is exposed in the driver, it's just not yet hooked up to an interface for user control.

Comment

Thanks agd5f. You're always very knowledgeable.

Well, I can see why that has caused so much trouble. It's not clear what was the purpose/value of such a change in functionality, but I suppose that is irrelevant to the process of getting it working.

What are the sticking points? Is one of the issues getting a new interface approved for general implementation? I'm guessing more kernel developers care about what that looks like in the end than just AMDGPU devs.

Any idea how it is coming along? I'm desperate for this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcelain Mouse View Post
        Thanks agd5f. You're always very knowledgeable.

Well, I can see why that has caused so much trouble. It's not clear what was the purpose/value of such a change in functionality, but I suppose that is irrelevant to the process of getting it working.

What are the sticking points? Is one of the issues getting a new interface approved for general implementation? I'm guessing more kernel developers care about what that looks like in the end than just AMDGPU devs.

Any idea how it is coming along? I'm desperate for this feature.
        Mostly just trying to understand whether it's something we can fit into the existing hwmon infrastructure or if we need to come up with a new interface, be it an addition to hwmon or an AMD specific interface in amdgpu.

Comment

Makes sense. I like standards, so I appreciate that you are trying to get it right.

I just really really need this feature for OpenCL. I don't understand how the default curve can be so inadequate while this feature isn't available. I wish I could contribute, but it doesn't sound like the problem is a shortage of coders. Best of luck. Here's hoping it gets resolved right away; I'm all in for the OSS team.

Comment

Working...
          X