Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box64 0.2.4 Released - Some x86-64 Games Now Playable On RISC-V

Phoronix: Box64 0.2.4 Released - Some x86-64 Games Now Playable On RISC-V

A new release of Box64 is now available, the Linux x86_64 emulator for running programs and games on non-x86_64 architectures like ARM/AArch64 and RISC-V...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the efficiency?

I hope next RISC-V extensions provide similar instrctions to ease this as in LoongArch!

I would love a RISC-VCPU able to execute different CPU architectures with great 90%+ efficiency and similar power of an high end AMD/Intel CPU for half the price. I know it's a pipe dream.

Comment

Finally something I was a little involved in on Phoronix.

Comment

Quoting the article:

[...] running programs and games [...]
        Aren't (video) games a subcategory of programs? I doubt Michael thinks it can run physical board or card games, so... I guess to Michael games are not programs?
        ​​​​​

Comment

A FEX vs box32/64 benchmark with various programs would be lovely, as the last one I can find is from over a year ago.

Comment

RISC-V is inevitable.

Comment

Id mainly play older games via wine on devices like these myself and emulators, cant wait to get a board to test it, waiting for one with good support in mesa

Comment

Not sure if if this make sense but would a translation of gameconsols (n64,PS,Dreamcast etc) to riscv be more efficient as those mentioned systems to x86? Afaik most of them have RISC like processors?

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                  Quoting the article:

Aren't (video) games a subcategory of programs? I doubt Michael thinks it can run physical board or card games, so... I guess to Michael games are not programs?
                  ​​​​​
                  Sure, but theyre a rather specific subsection that people want to know about and usually do quite a few weird things that warrant pointing out that they work at least to some degree

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    Not sure if if this make sense but would a translation of gameconsols (n64,PS,Dreamcast etc) to riscv be more efficient as those mentioned systems to x86? Afaik most of them have RISC like processors?
                    Indeed emulators will get native risvc support if the projects are alive in the future. It will be old games that will need that layer because there are closed source and not active anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X